Charles Ryan on Adventures

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=7428519

Merric: Are you able to tell us anything about how the D&D team would like to proceed with the publication of adventures? Would you like them to be an ongoing feature? (Perhaps 6-12 a year?) Or is this a limited experiment that will pause for feedback/sales reports in the near future?

Charles: As many people on these boards know, when third edition and the d20 License launched, we thought a lot of third parties would see adventures for D&D as a great opportunity. WotC published a spate of them early on (the adventure path, Return to the Temple) to sort of get the ball rolling, but after that we left the category to the third-party publishers.

Unfortunately, over the past few years most of the d20 publishers decided that it was better for their business to compete directly with us, and abandoned adventures in favor of sourcebooks of the sort we already make (and make better than anyone else). As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years. (And it's probably no coincidence that many d20 publishers seem to be struggling these days.)

D&D players have made it clear that they're interested in adventures (as you make clear in this very thread), and we're listening!

As you know, we don't generally discuss titles more than about nine months ahead of release, so I can't give you any specifics. I will say this: we think this hole in the marketplace is a long-term phenomenon, so we're looking at long-term solutions!

Um, that's odd, because the truism I heard a lot of publishers saying after about, oh . . . *checks watch* 2002 was that adventures and campaign settings don't sell. Maybe all the folks were wrong, but if we look at two of the biggest d20 publishers - Mongoose and Green Ronin - they don't put out many adventures, do they?

Of course, they don't directly compete with WotC anymore. They make things WotC doesn't. Hell, smart publishers of any size make things WotC doesn't. E.N. Publishing makes books focusing on niche items (one exotic weapon, or a bunch of random magic items, or monsters for a specific habitat), along with the occasional experimental new system book (Elements of Magic, Steam & Steel, Mechamancy).

WotC certainly has better production values than most of the d20 publishers (but not all), and they have a larger market presence to be sure. But saying that they make things better than d20 publishers is a little silly. Honestly, WotC is the core of the D&D market. They should make core material, like more feats, classes, monsters, spells. And adventures that use those things.

The third party publishers then would make weird stuff like new rules components (see E.N. Publishing), strange adventures (see Goodman Games), and small bits that aren't cost effective for WotC to produce (see Ronin Arts and tons of other pdf publishers).

Honestly, Mr. Ryan's tone is a little confrontational. It sounds like he blames 3rd party publishers for not playing along, which is a little worrying. A world where WotC does not like 3rd party publishers is not a good world for me, and I doubt it'd be a good world for a lot of EN Worlders.

What I'd like to see is WotC doing more to encourage 3rd party publishers. I know they're a big company and traditional business models say it's stupid to give you competitors publicity, but obviously Mr. Ryan believes 3rd party publishers should not compete with WotC. Therefore, wouldn't it be wise for WotC to offer up some space on their website to announcing 3rd party products that they like?

Sure, it'd be biased as heck, since they'd never promote a product that honestly competes with them, but it'd be a nice way to encourage 3rd party publishers to fill the niches WotC wants filled. If you could go to their site and see "10 cool adventures" being discussed and promoted, I bet publishers would start working on adventures, in the hope of WotC giving them the nod.

I really hope Mr. Ryan is not trying to imply that the 3rd party publishers somehow failed, or that any downturn in sales is their fault. I would love to have interviewed Peter Adkison 5 years ago and asked him what path he thought 3rd party publishing would take. Does anyone by chance have such an interview?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Charles Ryan said:
As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years. (And it's probably no coincidence that many d20 publishers seem to be struggling these days.)
I know it's his job, but this sort of disinformation comes off as almost malicious.

Goodman Games and Necromancer Games don't publish adventures? And they're struggling? And their adventures are worse than the Adventure Path?

Methinks Mr. Ryan needs a shipment from both companies to show him the error of his ways.

WotC wishes it had adventures of the quality of the DCCs.

Crothian

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I know it's his job, but this sort of disinformation comes off as almost malicious.

Actually he is not wrong. There have not been many adventures, Goodman Games and Necormancer are the exceptions really. And many d20 companies have droppped in business. You are really reading things that are not there.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Crothian said:
Actually he is not wrong. There have not been many adventures, Goodman Games and Necormancer are the exceptions really. And many d20 companies have droppped in business. You are really reading things that are not there.
Given how few major D20 publishers are out there, I think it's hard to categorize two of the biggest as "exceptions."

Crothian

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Given how few major D20 publishers are out there, I think it's hard to categorize two of the biggest as "exceptions."

Ya, it was hard to categorize them that way, but I managed. :cool:

Samuel Leming

First Post
Pramas said:
That post is funny on so many levels.

I'm not laughing though.

MerricB said:
Unfortunately, over the past few years most of the d20 publishers decided that it was better for their business to compete directly with us, and abandoned adventures in favor of sourcebooks of the sort we already make (and make better than anyone else). As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years. (And it's probably no coincidence that many d20 publishers seem to be struggling these days.)

I've been buying quite a bit of Green Ronin product on RPGNow. Most of it's better than the recent stuff from WotC.

Hmmmm. :\

Sam

Remove ads