• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charles Ryan on Adventures

DaveyJones

First Post
MerricB said:
Yeah, Scourge of the Howling Horde is probably the weakest of their recent adventures. It's not bad for newbies - which is who it is aimed at - but it has production problems, and a bad price point.

Cheers!
and the second in the series by Ed Stark hasn't faired much better in reviews.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DaveyJones said:
and the second in the series by Ed Stark hasn't faired much better in reviews.

There isn't actually a second in the series. They talked about Slaughtergarde as the sequel, but it isn't.

DD1: Barrow of the Forgotten King could work after Scourge, but it's not described as a sequel. It's a fair adventure, but you probably need DD2 and DD3 to judge it fairly. (If G1 had been the only Giants adventure to come out, it would have a horrible reputation).

Cheers!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Krug said:
Isn't there an overload of adventures already? I mean Dungeon puts out 3-4 adventures a magazine.
Magazines have many advantages, but they don't hold up well, and they've got stuff in them other than the adventure one wants at any given moment. Plenty of people don't read Dungeon or Dragon, something that helps Joseph Goodman sleep well at night.

Vocenoctum

First Post
MerricB said:
There isn't actually a second in the series. They talked about Slaughtergarde as the sequel, but it isn't.

DD1: Barrow of the Forgotten King could work after Scourge, but it's not described as a sequel. It's a fair adventure, but you probably need DD2 and DD3 to judge it fairly. (If G1 had been the only Giants adventure to come out, it would have a horrible reputation).

Cheers!

I think Howling Horde failed, not just due to the unreadable stuff, but also because it didn't even help the (presumably) novice DM assemble the PC's and deal with assembling a group.

Slaughtergarde is a decent campaign I think, it's ToEE in "type" with a base and a lot of adventure. I liked the folder setup, a worthy successor to boxed sets. Layout was not that great though, putting one adventure in the campaign book... the adventures aren't anything grand, but it's still a solid adventure I think.

I mainly liked Forgotten King for the villain notes myself. Henchmen disobeying the boss, the boss taking his loyal followers and leaving camp while the others sleep, the hobgoblin deciding to rest before raising undead, it had a lot of fun elements. Most of which teh PC's won't see, sure, but still, another solid adventure.

Mokona

First Post
Glyfair said:
The "Fantastic Location" series is generally considered a failure by WotC (mentioned at the "D&D Xperience"). I think a large part is the RPG customers saw it as a DDM product and often ignored it.
It was a D&D Miniatures product that might have appealed to a few Dungeon Masters. ;)

Few sales of D&D Miniatures are for skirmish play. As we know most games are homebrew where the predesigned maps don't often work (you can shoehorn them in, of course). Thus the series failed. :heh:

DaveyJones

First Post
MerricB said:

Cheers!

i guess i meant not a sequel directly with Hordes. but as a second in the series. Barrow is for 2nd lvl and Hordes for 1st. maybe it wasn't meant to be. just the timing of the release and the level give that impression.

both were meh.

Remove ads