• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charm Person

photon1966

First Post
I am sure other people have had some problems with this spell and I wanted to get some peoples take on it and the situation and ones like it.

Two players, one a wizard, are speaking with a clerk at Town hall and want to get into the magistrate's office and find out where he has gotten to. While the non mage speaks with the clea\rk the mage casts Charm Person. I luck out and make my save but in the following round he casts it again and I fail my save, I rolled a 1. Now during the one round he was free he did shout for help but what happens now. They came up with a sorta story about him having a fit so the gaurds who arrived took him to the local church across the way. But even so how now does the clerk feel about the mage? Doesn't he know he just had a spell cast on him. Or at least saw him spell casting? I found it difficult to see how he would be really helpful, though he didn't turn them in what happens in 3 hours when the spell ends and how is he to react then?

Thougts and comments please.

Shayuri

First Post
As long as the clerk is under the effects of the spell, he perceives the caster as his best buddy. He realizes now that he was being silly when he called for help, and that the spell the wizard was casting was for his own good. He'd be only too happy to help the wizard however he can...and if that means letting the guards take him to a priest, he's all for it.

Now, in 3 hours, when the Charm wears off, the clerk will remember everything clearly. Note that he won't automatically know he was Charmed. He will know that the mage tried a spell...he felt it try to affect him, but he shook it off (a successful save can be detected by the victim). He remembers calling for help even as the mage tried another spell...and then he'll remember a most peculiar change of attitude on his part!

A subtle use of Charm might go unnoticed even after it wears off, but what happened here is pretty blatant. I'm sure he'd realize he'd been magically influenced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads