• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Check out Magic: the Gathering's Tiamat

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat. "Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you...

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat.

"Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed painting it!"

E0wNOa5VIAEbZ-n.jpeg

The MtG set comes out on July 23rd, 2021. The collector's sets have a beholder on the front. ICv2 has more information on the various set configurations. Bell of Lost Souls has some card images.

mtc_dnd.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, so I've never played Magic. Despite its popularity the collectable aspect has always been a turn off to me -- because I'd inevitably want a full set and that's a financial hole I don't want to go into.

But this FR crossover has me intrigued, and knowing that MtG was originally intended to be "that game you play while waiting for your DM to show up" this could push me in.

But the range of boxes, bundles, and decks has me confused. What do you do to get started? Is there a starter set you can buy that has fixed cards but is balanced to play for two people, so you can get the experience without going full on into collectible (this is how I played Star Wars Destiny and Warhammer Champions -- just bought the starter set boxes with fixed distribution, then ignored the rest of the game).
The Commander decks are the beginner products at this time. Ifnit helps your completionist instincts, getting those four decks will be a complete mini collection, and provide a complete game for 2-4 people for a board game night situation.

The Commander decks are the beginner products at this time. Ifnit helps your completionist instincts, getting those four decks will be a complete mini collection, and provide a complete game for 2-4 people for a board game night situation.

Actually the designed for beginners product is the one I just preordered for fun, the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Arena Starter Decks. Its 2 Decks of 60 physical cards each and Arena codes so you can get the same decks on Arena. Its a great for brand new players and way, way, way cheaper then an AFR Commander Deck. It only cost $7 cad roughly, although I have to go pick it up at the store when the time comes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually the designed for beginners product is the one I just preordered for fun, the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Arena Starter Decks. Its 2 Decks of 60 physical cards each and Arena codes so you can get the same decks on Arena. Its a great for brand new players and way, way, way cheaper then an AFR Commander Deck. It only cost $7 cad roughly, although I have to go pick it up at the store when the time comes.
That's not announced yet, so I'm not 100% sure that is real or financial speculation.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But be warned, if you are a true completionist and worry that you might be tempted to keep buying until you have every card in the set and enough multiples to be able to construct all viable decks, stay miles and miles away from this game. I have seen addiction to this game (buying a MTG pack is a form of gambling, after all, and by deliberate corporate design there is literally no upper limit on the amount of money you are encouraged to spend on the game) ruin a man’s life.
If you’re looking to build a complete playset of a set (or to get any specific card or cards, really) buying boosters is just an inefficient way to go about it. As you say, buying boosters is a form of gambling, and the house always wins. In my opinion, the only good reason to buy boosters is to draft. Then you’re paying for a gameplay experience that requires those randomized packs. But if all you want is the content of the packs, it’s far more efficient to just buy the individual cards you want off the secondary market. Complete sets of all the commons and uncommons in a set are pretty easy to find on like eBay for a reasonable price. Rares and mythic rares can get expensive, but ultimately you’ll end up spending more cracking packs and hoping to open the card you want than just buying it from an online reseller.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If you’re looking to build a complete playset of a set (or to get any specific card or cards, really) buying boosters is just an inefficient way to go about it. As you say, buying boosters is a form of gambling, and the house always wins. In my opinion, the only good reason to buy boosters is to draft. Then you’re paying for a gameplay experience that requires those randomized packs. But if all you want is the content of the packs, it’s far more efficient to just buy the individual cards you want off the secondary market. Complete sets of all the commons and uncommons in a set are pretty easy to find on like eBay for a reasonable price. Rares and mythic rares can get expensive, but ultimately you’ll end up spending more cracking packs and hoping to open the card you want than just buying it from an online reseller.
Yeah, but there's fewer dopamine hits that way.

OK, so I've never played Magic. Despite its popularity the collectable aspect has always been a turn off to me -- because I'd inevitably want a full set and that's a financial hole I don't want to go into.

But this FR crossover has me intrigued, and knowing that MtG was originally intended to be "that game you play while waiting for your DM to show up" this could push me in.

But the range of boxes, bundles, and decks has me confused. What do you do to get started? Is there a starter set you can buy that has fixed cards but is balanced to play for two people, so you can get the experience without going full on into collectible (this is how I played Star Wars Destiny and Warhammer Champions -- just bought the starter set boxes with fixed distribution, then ignored the rest of the game).

I don't don't know how they're doing them this year, without the Core Set, but the most basic way to get into the game are Welcome Decks. These are two, thirty card, decks WotC gives out for free at game stores. They're ment to be played against each other to learn the game and then shuffled together for a sixty-card, dual-colored, Standard legal, deck you can play at FNM. If you want to give the game a try, on person...

Update: Okay, actually scratch that... Magic Untapped - WotC ends Welcome Decks, announces Welcome Boosters and Arena Starter Kits

Remove ads

Remove ads