D&D General LotR and Forgotten Realms mashup - your thoughts?

My opinion is the essence of LotR is not only epic fantasy but a lot of a bittersweet touch, melancholy, nostalgia, almost sad. The Middle Earth is a beatiful place, but that is losing, something like when you are older and you realises a lot of things present in your childhood are disapearing. And D&D is about the opposite, the emotion of the exploration and lots of amazing new things just to be discovered.

In my game WotC's version of LotR is within D&D multiverse, but it is a "clone timeline", a parallel universe, and the "original" is not affected at all.

Legolas IMO would be an Elven Fighter who took up the Fighting Initiate feat in order to be a master of two Fighting Styles- Two-Weapon Fighting and Archery. 😋

In my game WotC's version of LotR is within D&D multiverse, but it is a "clone timeline", a parallel universe, and the "original" is not affected at all.
This would work for me. :)

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
if i were playing a middle earth setting i definitely feel like it is one where i would enforce the only half-casters of less rule as well as quite a few of the 'gritty realism' tweaks like curating spell lists of spells like tiny hut, goodberry and create food and water., if i did allow any fullcasters i think it would be the sorcerer and warlock, as others have said middle earth is very much a lowmagic setting that fullcasters and convenience magic violently jarr with the tone.

CatullusCato

Villager
There have been a couple of Forgotten Realms Magic the Gathering sets. And at least one LotR sets. That's what made me think of this idea...

For an RPG, what sort of compelling storyline would you create that mixes Forgotten Realms and LotR?
I’d check out Free League’s 5e-based Lord of the Ring’s Role-Playing Game. (The new edition of Adventures in Middle Earth). It blends 5e and Middle Earth very well.

Website here.

Remove ads