• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Check out Magic: the Gathering's Tiamat

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat. "Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you...

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat.

"Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed painting it!"

E0wNOa5VIAEbZ-n.jpeg

The MtG set comes out on July 23rd, 2021. The collector's sets have a beholder on the front. ICv2 has more information on the various set configurations. Bell of Lost Souls has some card images.

mtc_dnd.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tiamat is definitely aimed for EDH/Commander, I don't think she's particularly playable in Limited or other Constructed formats. You can't even cheat her into play and get that tutor effect. But she'll be great in Commander. The 2017 Commander set included a 5-Colour Dragon Deck, she's perfect as an alternate commander or slotted into that deck.

Speaking of which, while they didn't show off any cards or other info, there are going to be 4 (!) Precon Commander Decks coming out with the set. Right now, all we have is the names to speculate on:
  • Aura of Courage
  • Dungeons of Death
  • Draconic Rage
  • Planar Portal
I doubt the Draconic Rage deck will be 5 colours, and can bet Tiamat won't be in the deck. I'm leaning Gruul (Red and Green), as most dragons are Red, and Green can give you the ramp to get there. Dungeons of Death screams Black, but I'm not sure what other colors might be there. Planar Portal is probably primarily Blue, but again, not sure what other colors, maybe White? Aura of Courage feels like a White enchantment deck, again, many options for other colors into the mix.
Probably not Enemy color combos, as they said these were designed to play nice with the Strixhaven decks, but I could see three color combos here.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It took 'em 20 years, but they finally decided to do it. :) Glad my friends and I are out of MtG nowadays, or this (the FR set) would have pulled me back in.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Tiamat is definitely aimed for EDH/Commander, I don't think she's particularly playable in Limited or other Constructed formats.
It will really depend on if multicolor is supported. There have been past sets where 5 color is not only possible in limited, but pretty easily done. Otherwise, no.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It took 'em 20 years, but they finally decided to do it. :) Glad my friends and I are out of MtG nowadays, or this (the FR set) would have pulled me back in.
LOL It has me hooked already. I plan on buying 2 boxes, maybe 3. I haven't done more than the occasional draft or sealed tournament(about 1 a year on average) for more than a decade.

Probably not Enemy color combos, as they said these were designed to play nice with the Strixhaven decks, but I could see three color combos here.
Yeah, but Wedges not Shards, like in Tarkir, not Alara.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, but Wedges not Shards, like in Tarkir, not Alara.

Actually, having given it some speculative consideration, I'm thinking these could be Shards like Alara, and not Wedges like Tarkir. They released a complete group of wedge Commander decks for Commander 2020 in Ikoria just a year ago, so it might be time for some Shard love, and it fits the themes better:

- Aura of Protection: if you look at the Meta for Aura themed decks in Commander, they lean towards Bant (Green/White/Blue, centered in White)

- Draconic Rage: five color is a real possiblity here, but if we assume this is going to be the Cult of the Dragon and the Chromatics misbehaving, then Jund is a great fit (Red centered with Green and Black).

- Dungeons: A Black-ventered Grixis deck, with Blue and Red components, would make sense.

- Planar Portals: some sort of control deck, I reckon, so maybe Esper, but then again maybe Naya if it is an Aggro deck.

I'm curious to see what we end up with.

Vael

Legend
My weird theory is that some of these EDH decks might be mono-colored. They haven't done mono-colored decks since 2014, maybe they have some new tech for them?

Remove ads

Remove ads