• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On that subject, i suspect it is pretty likely that at least some areas of the Outlands will get additional information in the module itself. Have we seen a ToC for the adventure yet? There may also be embedded setting info in the monster lore.
To be honest, that's a big part of what's going on in the Spelljammer set. A lot of material in the Adventure is detail that can be used even if the Adventure is not.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In fairness, I was a huge fan of Planescape in the 90s, and for boxed sets I only had the core one and Planes of Law, because those were the only two I could find. These things didn’t have voluminous print runs, and this was before Amazon.
Makes sense, and that original box set seems to have had plenty to run games for years.

In France we only got the core one (which was already difficult to find), an adventure and the first monstrous compendium (these last two I never saw with my own eyes)...
But... but... we've been told here in dozens of different posts that playing a Planescape campaign is impossible with just the original box set. You must have all the info from all Planescape products to even contemplate playing a Planescape campaign! How dare you play such a campaign with such inadequate and incomplete info! Better you had burned that set than attempt to play it that way!

(/s obviously)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
On that subject, i suspect it is pretty likely that at least some areas of the Outlands will get additional information in the module itself. Have we seen a ToC for the adventure yet? There may also be embedded setting info in the monster lore.
That's probably true, but nobody should have to dig through an adventure to find usable setting material. I wouldn't mind it being reprinted in an adventure for ease of running(not that I use the adventures), but setting material should be in the setting book.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I love this wrong argument. The original setting is NOT the first boxed set. It's ALL of the boxed sets. They knew they were releasing the other stuff when they came up with the setting. Whether you like it or not, it DOES include all the Planescape products released, because that's how 2e rolled.
If you have the expectation that a single release is going to live up to the detail of the entire 90's product line, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Especially because the size of product lines in the '90's is part of the reason TSR died, and I don't imagine the current stewards are in a hurry to repeat that mistake.

WotC has a proven history of not releasing follow up setting books for 5e in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time. As in none yet, even if they've promised some are coming.

I actually really appreciate the pace of 5e releases - the idea of releasing only enough that you can play everything (if you played a LOT of D&D) is solid. Part of what that means is that they don't want Ravenloft competing with The Shattered Obelisk or whatever, and that's a fine idea, IMO.

I see what's on offer here and I, too, want more. But I've also got enough here for quite some time, even if there's not a lot on the Outlands specifically. And I don't plan on using their prepackaged adventure (I could be swayed on this, if it's very good, but I'd rather do a bunch of smaller adventures than one big one).

The gate towns are not really the outlands the plane. Technically they are(and technically is the best kind of correct), but really they're far more the planes they border than the outlands. If I want to run an adventure IN the outland, I have 2 pages(60-61). 4 pages if I include the 18 realms, but do you really think 2 pages for 18 realms is enough to tell you enough about each realm?
With all due respect, the Outlands chapter here is almost identical in its usage of page space to the 2e Player's Primer to the Outlands.

The Gate-towns have always been counted as part of the Outlands, and always among the plane's most notable locales, so saying that they "shouldn't count" because they're "really part of their neighboring plane instead", effectively ripping out 89% of the chapter, and then complaining that what's left isn't sufficient to cover the Outlands comes off as disingenuous at best. Particularly given that, if past discussions with you are anything to go by, you will also refuse to acknowledge the presence of any and all setting material contained within the associated Turn of Fortune's Wheel adventure module (which we know to be at least partly set in the Outlands), because it somehow doesn't count as setting material if its in an adventure.

No, this isn't going to cover everything that exists in the Outlands. That was never on the table. But it does seem to serve as a reasonably solid foundation to me. And yes, the Gate-towns are getting the bulk of the coverage, because again, they've always got the bulk of the coverage. With luck, Fortune's Wheel will visit some of the other locales of note and help fill them out - otherwise, you're going to have to dig into older material and/or do the work yourself.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In fairness, I was a huge fan of Planescape in the 90s, and for boxed sets I only had the core one and Planes of Law, because those were the only two I could find. These things didn’t have voluminous print runs, and this was before Amazon.
I got the boxed set, planes of law, planes of chaos, planes of conflict, in the cage: a guide to sigil, all the monstrous compendiums, on hollowed ground, and a guide to the astral plane. The rest I either couldn't afford having much more limited disposable income in those days, or else they were adventures and I had stopped buying modules after 1e.

I was lucky and all of the products were fairly easily found here in Los Angeles.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If you have the expectation that a single release is going to live up to the detail of the entire 90's product line, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
I don't get how I can literally type in post #73 that I'm not looking for 1000+ pages and that the 96 page adventure book would have been enough space for the initial release, and you can come away with, "If you have the expectation that a single release is going to live up to the detail of the entire 90's product line..."

Can you explain that to me?
I actually really appreciate the pace of 5e releases - the idea of releasing only enough that you can play everything (if you played a LOT of D&D) is solid. Part of what that means is that they don't want Ravenloft competing with The Shattered Obelisk or whatever, and that's a fine idea, IMO.

I see what's on offer here and I, too, want more. But I've also got enough here for quite some time, even if there's not a lot on the Outlands specifically. And I don't plan on using their prepackaged adventure (I could be swayed on this, if it's very good, but I'd rather do a bunch of smaller adventures than one big one).
I don't like the pace of releases. The glacial pace could be increased while still being far less than 3e or 4e, but that's a Red Herring here. I'm not talking about release rates. I'm talking about settings being released without the vast majority of the setting in it.

Remove ads

Remove ads