• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't like the pace of releases. The glacial pace could be increased while still being far less than 3e or 4e, but that's a Red Herring here. I'm not talking about release rates. I'm talking about settings being released without the vast majority of the setting in it.
I wonder if they think certain settings are more likely to be treated as a one off lark than a long campaign. Dragonlance got a module, for example, much like Ravenloft did with Curse of Strahd. But Eberron got a full book, rather than the mixed bag. I don't own any of the MtG settings but I gather that Ravnica and There's at least were more traditional setting books. That both Spelljammer and Planescape got the hybrid product suggests that WotC maybe thinks those settings need a more concrete introduction with a built in adventure. If they ever were to do Dark Sun, I would expect similar treatment for similar reasons.

I am still waiting for a big fat Eberron adventure or preferably anthology...

To be honest, that's a big part of what's going on in the Spelljammer set. A lot of material in the Adventure is detail that can be used even if the Adventure is not.
True, but that by no means lets that set off the hook. Even accounting for what was in the adventure, that set had about 10 pages of setting info tops. Here we have a dedicated 96-page book, and that's even before what may be in the adventure.

I mean, if saying what I've been saying since my first few posts in this thread is moving the goalposts, perhaps moving the goalposts doesn't actually involve any movement. :unsure:

And of course we all know that technically is the best kind of correct!!! Me, I prefer actuality, and in actuality the gate towns are and always have been more the border plane than the Outlands. That's why the continually fall into the neighboring plane and a new town has to appear.

The only sophistry here is yours in ignoring the history your saying flies in the fast of the history. This is from the 2e set.

"Automata: Character. As a tiny reflection of nearby Mechanus, there's a rule for everything here, and gods help the berk who ain't learned
them all!"

"Bedlam: Character. Not really a town, but an asylum let loose - that's what this place is. The chant is the town's mad, that the barmies have seized the keys, but what's a soul to expect from a place that's hard on the gates of Pandemonium?"

The rest are similar. You are the only one ignoring history here and trying to say the towns were other than mostly a reflection of a plane other than the outlands.
Yet you are also claiming that the book has no material on the other outer planes, while dismissing the Gatetowns as being part of the Outlands. So which is it?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't plan on using their prepackaged adventure (I could be swayed on this, if it's very good, but I'd rather do a bunch of smaller adventures than one big one).
No doubt the Adventure will have lots of pieces that can be cut out and repurposed pretty easily, like Dungeons and such.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder if they think certain settings are more likely to be treated as a one off lark than a long campaign. Dragonlance got a module, for example, much like Ravenloft did with Curse of Strahd. But Eberron got a full book, rather than the mixed bag. I don't own any of the MtG settings but I gather that Ravnica and There's at least were more traditional setting books. That both Spelljammer and Planescape got the hybrid product suggests that WotC maybe thinks those settings need a more concrete introduction with a built in adventure. If they ever were to do Dark Sun, I would expect similar treatment for similar reasons.

I am still waiting for a big fat Eberron adventure or preferably anthology...
Dragonlance worked pretty well for the Adventure introduction, because when push comes to shove Krynn doesn't have too far out Setting assumptions.

Ravnica and Theros are basically structured exactly like Eberron, which makes sense as all 3 books are Jamea Wyatt joints. Wildemount, which has already had a Campaogn book follow-up, is the most traditional 5E Setting book.

Winninger had been touting how they wanted a solid play example of Adventure to introduce new Settings that have more out there assumptions than base D&D, and I think we may well see more.of this hybrid approach based on the sales.

I could see an Eberron Xendrik Slipcase Set: an "Intro to Xendrik" book that updates crunch stuff while referring to Rising from the Last War for Khorvaire info (evergreen product), a gonzo Eberron Monster book, and a Xendrik Adventure Campaign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
True, but that by no means lets that set off the hook. Even accounting for what was in the adventure, that set had about 10 pages of setting info tops. Here we have a dedicated 96-page book, and that's even before what may be in the adventure.
No, you are right. It needed more than it got, which was basically vibes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads