Check Out The First 3 Pages Of TALES FROM THE YAWNING PORTAL

Tales From the Yawning Portal is about a month away, which means the previews are starting to appear across the internet. First up is the first three pages of the book - the introduction, which summarises the included adventures (The Sunless Citadel, The Forge of Fury, The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in That, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors) with basic details about The Yawning Portal itself. Enjoy!

Tales From the Yawning Portal is about a month away, which means the previews are starting to appear across the internet. First up is the first three pages of the book - the introduction, which summarises the included adventures (The Sunless Citadel, The Forge of Fury, The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in That, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors) with basic details about The Yawning Portal itself. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.48.png

You can download those three pages as a PDF from WotC here.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I am REALLY interested to see how they covert some of the interesting encounters and challenges in the The Hidden Shrine.

I was considering trying to convert that one myself, but so glad WotC is doing it for me!

phantomK9

Explorer
For anyone who has experience with Tomb of Horrors, I have some questions.

Right now in my LMoP campaign, the PCs are approaching level 8 and at one point they used a bean from a Bag of Beans and summoned up a pyramid (fortunately it was in an out of the way place on the road to Conyberry).

I've been thinking that Tomb of Horrors might be a good dungeon for the pyramid when they decide to tackle it, but know next to nothing about it. Basically if it will fit the bill, as it were, then I'm definitely going to pick this up (heck, I probably will anyway).

Is the Tomb filled with undead?
What is the BBEG like? (He said hoping for mummy lord.)
The excerpt says it is a high level dungeon. How high?
Can it be easily ported as a pyramid? What is the general shape?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

phantomK9

Explorer
Eh .... maybe not?

Don't think this would work too well. You *could* retcon the interior of I3 (Desert of Desolation) for it, but a lot of the charm of that module is the setting. And Conyberry doesn't have that "vaguely Egyptian" feel to it.

All good information thanks.
Looks like I won't be using this for that specific purpose, but that still doesn't diminish my interest in this :)

Benji

First Post
Is the Tomb filled with undead?

The Tomb isn't filled with monsters. In fact has almost no combat encounters. It's more like a deadly trap filled puzzle box than a series of fights.

What is the BBEG like? (He said hoping for mummy lord.)

If you want to know who the big bad is, take a look at the front cover of the DMG. That's him before he gets an upgrade. Tomb is post-upgrade. I have don't want to spoil it for players so SPOILER tag.

In the version I played, He's a Demilich but more and less than that. Mummy Lord is weak chips compared to this.

The excerpt says it is a high level dungeon. How high?

It's the top of the stack, highest level dungeon. I think they said either 13th or 15th level appropriate.
So with level 8, you might be looking at a few dead players.

Can it be easily ported as a pyramid? What is the general shape?

This I don't remember. My map of it is currently packed. It doesn't have many levels though.

If you are looking for an entertaining Pyramid and have the time to sort of convert from third may I suggest you pick up 'Hall Of The Rainbow Mage' 3rd ed adventure. It was a pyramid, was pretty challenging and it featured a villain you easily make a mummy lord without changing anything.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I am hoping they open Greyhawk up for Dungeon Master's Guild use!

All the buzz that had me excited about this product possibly moving us out of the Forgotten Realms dies hard when I read this three-page preview. There is a paragraph on using some inn in Greyhawk instead of the Forgotten Realms, and I have a bad feeling that it's all the bone we're going to be thrown.

Benji

First Post
Actually, I would say that I thought that they were going to give an idea of linking the adventures beyond 'Oh, you can kind of link them but were aren't going to give you a how or why' half-paragraph. That is a little disappointing.

flametitan

Explorer
All the buzz that had me excited about this product possibly moving us out of the Forgotten Realms dies hard when I read this three-page preview. There is a paragraph on using some inn in Greyhawk instead of the Forgotten Realms, and I have a bad feeling that it's all the bone we're going to be thrown.

From the Tomb of Horrors Preview they continue to acknowledge Greyhawk. There's a sidebar where they list the original six locations Gygax provided, before listing off locations for Eberron, Dragonlance, and the Realms. The actual text of the adventure outside the sidebar is location neutral, at no point acknowledging there's a "canonical" location for the tomb.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
This also appears to kill the (admittedly unsupported) speculation that the Rod of Seven Parts would somehow be an officially included meta-narrative to tie everything together.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads