Check Out These Peeks At CURSE OF STRAHD

Curse of Strahd is approaching fast. Here's a few quick, early peeks at the book itself, and of one of the miniatures from Gale Force Nine! These include the book, a glimpse of the fold-out map, Strahd's miniature astride is Nightmare steed, the full set of Tarokka cards, and some art from the book.

Curse of Strahd is approaching fast. Here's a few quick, early peeks at the book itself, and of one of the miniatures from Gale Force Nine! These include the book, a glimpse of the fold-out map, Strahd's miniature astride is Nightmare steed, the full set of Tarokka cards, and some art from the book.

CbmVlEAUEAAjJWT.jpg

Folks out map at the back of the book

CbmVRo1UcAAYTnF.jpg

The book itself

CbmU7yOUUAEq00n.jpg

Strahd on his Nightmare steed

CazfXavUEAA_5l_.jpg

Tarokka cards (separately from Game Force Nine)

Cbg8q_CVAAACA0V.jpg

Awesome art

Cbb3leVUkAAkAbl.jpg

More awesome art
SaveSaveSaveSave

Well I didn't say it was a bug, just that I had an issue with it. I'm all for secret passages (there are more in the house as well), but I prefer they be well - secret. I see how it could be a feature for the adventure (that way the PCs know to look for a door), I just don't understand the reason for someone putting in a secret door to a location everyone knows is there.

Even in modern houses, the doors to the attic are not always in plain sight. At my parents' house, the primary door to the attic was in plain sight in the garage, but a secondary access panel was hidden in my brother's closet. In my brother's house, the only attic access panel is once again hidden in his closet.

dave2008

Legend
Even in modern houses, the doors to the attic are not always in plain sight. At my parents' house, the primary door to the attic was in plain sight in the garage, but a secondary access panel was hidden in my brother's closet. In my brother's house, the only attic access panel is once again hidden in his closet.

Yes, but that is typically for a storage attic, not what really amounts to a 4th floor as in the death house. In fact, modern building codes typically require a door 30" x 84" min. to a habitable space. Not that the death house would be specified to modern codes, I'm just providing an example. Maybe because I'm an architect it sticks out more to me.

Anyway, not a big deal, just odd to me. I would probably make the one at the landing a typ. door (maybe locked or trapped if needed) and the one from the room secret if I run the adventure (as long as it is not really integral to the adventure that the door be secret).

Jabborwacky

First Post
Yes, but that is typically for a storage attic, not what really amounts to a 4th floor as in the death house. In fact, modern building codes typically require a door 30" x 84" min. to a habitable space. Not that the death house would be specified to modern codes, I'm just providing an example. Maybe because I'm an architect it sticks out more to me.

Anyway, not a big deal, just odd to me. I would probably make the one at the landing a typ. door (maybe locked or trapped if needed) and the one from the room secret if I run the adventure (as long as it is not really integral to the adventure that the door be secret).

This is why all of my characters carry a measuring stick and a strip of marked leather.

... and its always marked in the fantasy cousin of the metric system. If anyone asks, the halflings invented it in their spare time :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Well I didn't say it was a bug, just that I had an issue with it. I'm all for secret passages (there are more in the house as well), but I prefer they be well - secret. I see how it could be a feature for the adventure (that way the PCs know to look for a door), I just don't understand the reason for someone putting in a secret door to a location everyone knows is there.

Part of the idea for the parents might've been that because they didn't want people to easily just notice the door to the attic based upon what they had secured up there. The stairway to the attic in the original design of the house might've been built open so you could easily get up there... but when the parents decided to lock the things away up there that needed locking, they might've changed and rebuilt the doorway to be less noticeable upon casual inspection. That way, if anyone came to the house to visit, they might have intellectually known there was an attic based upon the outside architecture... but since there was no obvious stairway to it, they might be more inclined to just consider it a storage area rather than a living space. And thus, the stuff locked up there would be less likely to be found. Plus, the parents still needed the stairway accessible as new "friends" would still have to be brought up there to reach the circular staircase to get back down into the basement. So the stairway couldn't be entirely walled off.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post

isn't there a trope of "Hey shouldn't this room be bigger" or "Hey, where is the 4th floor" to make characters notice secrets...

Remove ads

Remove ads