Spelljammer Check Out These Spelljammer Ships!

WotC has shared some of the upcoming Spelljammer ship designs in a video with Chris Perkins.

WotC has shared some of the upcoming Spelljammer ship designs in a video with Chris Perkins.

137BA576-70A3-46F8-8315-7ED440E37211.jpeg
3C568CD4-A099-41CA-9E76-03D50B925F3F.jpeg
A3895162-B9D7-435B-9C8C-85818B73073A.jpeg
4577B88B-A351-4417-9C1C-59A47D9E9C4E.jpeg
E270E7AE-A9EE-4829-97FE-500DD4CEB806.jpeg
2CE60D63-6BE3-40F6-89CE-FFF3D43F60DE.jpeg
1E831242-09A1-4BEB-868D-0FD995911223.jpeg

Stormonu

Legend
Nice that air envelopes will still be a thing (in at least some areas). Putting a treant on a ship is a brilliant idea.

Love the scavvers floating around the Neogi Mindspider. Cool detail.

It'd be funny as hell if those mantas turn out to be ixitxachitl* (though, I'd prefer a spacefaring version...)

* I went looking in Beyond to see if they exist for 5E and they're in Out of the Abyss? What heresy is this!?!

It'd be funny as hell if those mantas turn out to be ixitxachitl* (though, I'd prefer a spacefaring version...)

* I went looking in Beyond to see if they exist for 5E and they're in Out of the Abyss? What heresy is this!?!
As I recall, ixitxachitl are frequently linked to the cult of Demogorgon, lore wise. That's probably why.

MGibster

Legend
Well, that answers the question of whether the ships would all be galleons or if there would be the weird, wide variety.
It just occurred to me, when it comes to ships floating through the void, galleons are kinda of the weird variety there. I see a dragonfly, turtle, or even a snail floating through space and I think to myself, "Yeah, that checks out." But when I see a galleon I just get confused.

MGibster

Legend
I've always been very puzzled by Spelljammer. I remember when it came out the first time. I had nothing against it but decided it wasn't for me. I tend to prefer a more "traditional fantasy" setting for D&D.
I also missed the boat (hee hee) on Spelljammer when it was originally released. I'm more interested in checking it out this time around though. I think perhaps today's audience might be a bit more friendly toward's Spelljammer's farout concept of fantasy in space.

Staffan

Legend
It just occurred to me, when it comes to ships floating through the void, galleons are kinda of the weird variety there. I see a dragonfly, turtle, or even a snail floating through space and I think to myself, "Yeah, that checks out." But when I see a galleon I just get confused.
In OG Spelljammer, spacefaring galleons were usually the result of some planet-dwellers getting their hands on a spelljamming helm and instructions to attach it to a ship, and assuming that they meant a regular water-based ship. As I recall, "normal" ships came with some penalties, like a worse maneuvering class and higher crew requirements (on account of having sails and stuff that weren't designed for space travel).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm all for animal and insect inspired ships. That and pretty much every final fantasy airship ever.
That’s basically the aesthetic of my space fantasy games. All of it, together, though regionally you’ll see more of one or another aesthetic.

The trick is to mostly base things on PC stats, so that a Needle Class Interceptor and a Dryad Aether-Ent can dogfight in space while the PCs ally they’re protecting escapes in their frigate, and it all works fine.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, the artwork looks good, but it looks like the same designs from the old Spelljammer, I am hoping for some new concepts and deck plans.

Remove ads

Remove ads