Check Required Flaw

Rystil Arden

First Post
This is from UP--I paraphrase below

Check Required, -1 Modifier Flaw
The effect requires a skill check DC 10 + power rank in order to work. If the check fails, it doesn't work, but the action is still expended. The checkis part of the action. Normal bonuses and penalties apply. If you can't make the check for any reason, the the effect fails automatically. The check must be in addition to normal checks needed for the effect.

(Then there's an example with a spellcaster who wants to get Super Senses 4 for Detect Magic, so she needs to make a DC 14 Knowledge Arcane Lore check)

This seems a fairly flavourful and balanced flaw--you can't use it on something with too many ranks or else you won't be able to make the check, and if you spend that many points to boost your skills, you could have just put the points in the power to begin with and avoided the need for the Flaw. Further, enemies can drain your ability to use the skill and knock out your powers at the same time. It's mostly like Limited, except it is more cinematic/has a cooler comic book action style feel to have the character make a skill check to activate the power. Certainly it is more restrictive than many applications of the Permanent flaw, for instance, and it generally costs you more in total than taking the Action flaw to up a power to a Full-Round action.

rgordona

Explorer
Could you clarify how check required works with permenant powers?

Also with a power such as flight do you make the check every round the character is in the air, or only on the round he tries to take off?

Hand of Vecna

First Post
I'm pretty sure the Flaw wouldn't work on Permanent powers. The description of the Flaw says "If the check fails, the effect doesn’t work, although the action required to use it is expended (so attempting to activate an effect that takes a standard action takes a standard action whether the check is successful or not)." Most (if not all) Permanent powers require no action to activate, so I'd say they can't have this Flaw.

Velmont

First Post
I've been thinking about that flaw, here four example of flawed powers:

Flight (Flaw: Wings)
Blast(Electricity) (Flaw: Need source)
Jump (Flaw: Check Required (Jump))
Magic (Flaw: Check Required (Arcane Lore))

So, here how each flaw affect the power:

Flight (Flaw: Wings)
A winged flyer need to be able to flap his wing. Wings need air to be usefull. All that mean the power become useless when the character is:

- The character is in the void (no air to support)
- The character is grapple, bound, snared (wings are tight and cannot flap)
- The character is paralyzed (flapping wings is a physical move action)
- The wings are cut

Blast(Electricity) (Flaw: Need source)
An electrokinetic using his blast power cannot use his power without a source of electricity, which mean:

- The character cannot use his power in the wild
- The character cannot use his power in undevellop region where electricity don't reach
- The character cannot use his power during a black out
- All electricity is drained

But these drawback can be removed if:

- The character have a battery (might have limited use in the battery)
- There is a storm

Jumping Kick [Blast] (Flaw: Check Required (Jump))
A character must make a jump check to 'blast' his opponent, which mean:
- The character is grapple, bound, snared (legs are bounded)
- The character is paralyzed (jumpng is a move action that need a physical action)
- The skill Jump is drained (harder to use but not impossible)
- Fail a Skill check
- The leg are cut :eek:

Magic (Flaw: Check Required (Arcane Lore))
- The skill Arcane Lore is drained (harder to use but not impossible)
- Fail a Skill check

-=-=-=-=-

Let's say you are using a power at rank 14 with a PL10 character. The DC is 24. Using this flaw save you 14 PP. You need to be able to have +23 to a skill to be always successfull, which you can reach with:

12 ranks in the skills 3PP
enhanced the skill with Enhanced Traits (12 ranks) 3PP.

Total save PP: 8PP.

-=-=-=-=-

Now, if you use that for Jumping Kick... I don't see much a problem, as there many way to neutralize it.

But for Arcane Lore, the fact is it a pure mental effect, that it is too easy to gain lots of rank in a skill... I feel like it is almost a no brainer flaw and is a lot less penalizing compare to other flaw I showed up there.

And for drain skill, it is pretty rare. Drain attributes is less rare. Drain power is most likely what you will meet, but if you are drain you improved trait, you most likely will be drained the power itself.

I could see it as a Power Loss drawback in many case, a flaw at some limit for some powers.

Anyone have something to add to it, I'm still open and I won't vote on that that early, it has potentil of be a good flaw, but has potential to be abuse too...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
Let's say you are using a power at rank 14 with a PL10 character. The DC is 24. Using this flaw save you 14 PP. You need to be able to have +23 to a skill to be always successfull, which you can reach with:

12 ranks in the skills 3PP
enhanced the skill with Enhanced Traits (12 ranks) 3PP.

Total save PP: 8PP.

You can't do that--it breaks the cap. You'd have to buy 16 points of Intelligence (total 26, +8) and 15 ranks, costing 20 points. And if you lost a single point of Int or skill ranks, you'd start failing your power.

Rystil Arden

First Post
rgordona said:
Could you clarify how check required works with permenant powers?

Also with a power such as flight do you make the check every round the character is in the air, or only on the round he tries to take off?
Every round, since you are using the Flight move action every round. If you have a Sustained power, you only make the check when you activate it.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
You can't do that--it breaks the cap. You'd have to buy 16 points of Intelligence (total 26, +8) and 15 ranks, costing 20 points. And if you lost a single point of Int or skill ranks, you'd start failing your power.
Actualy, the cap is total bonuses, so you can't get past a +15 period.

Nevermind. Apparently some bonuses simply apply as ranks.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Actualy, the cap is total bonuses, so you can't get past a +15 period.
You scared me for a moment, but I checked and this is not true. The PL limit applies only to skill ranks (and a few other things that say they count for the PL limit, like Attractive). Just glance at the example heroes and villains and you will see them going over +15 all the time (Gadgeteer in Knowledge skills is a quick and easy one)

Bront

The man with the probe
Skills would have to be in the realm of realistic as well, and likely the action couldn't be reduced to a swift action (Like regeration automaticly happening every round type of thing). It requires enough time for a skill check, it needs to require the time for a skill check.

Attacking confusion to diplomacy or regeneration to concentration I can buy. Attacking regneration to Diplomacy or strike to Knowledge:pop Culture I think would be silly (though ammusing).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Skills would have to be in the realm of realistic as well, and likely the action couldn't be reduced to a swift action (Like regeration automaticly happening every round type of thing). It requires enough time for a skill check, it needs to require the time for a skill check.

Attacking confusion to diplomacy or regeneration to concentration I can buy. Attacking regneration to Diplomacy or strike to Knowledge:pop Culture I think would be silly (though ammusing).
I agree. The example is attaching Knowledge: Arcane Lore to Magic, which makes sense. The point of the flaw is to attached a meaningful and sensical skill to the power, encouraging characters to have thematically-appropriate skills.

Remove ads