Cheese Sammiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Cheese + carbs = good eats, most of the time.

I eat both cold and toasted ones. Structured and unstructured. With whatever damn cheese I want. USUALLY in combination with 1-2 other cheeses!

While velveeta and American cheeses slices on white were what started me down that road, current common suspects include swiss, Edam, gruyere, akawi, gouda, Boursin, Brie, cream cheese, cotswold, merlot Bellevitano, parrano and more. Sometimes, I use the smoked versions.

I usually use sourdough, but I’ve also used pita, naan, petit pain, ciabatta and the occasional rye.

Jmarso

Adventurer
Cheddar, with ham or bacon added. (I know, I'm getting out of the box- I'm being THAT F'N GUY who wants to be an orc necromancer in a party of paladins...)

With some tomato soup for dipping.

Two of those, wrapped in foil from the Keflavik squadron 'geedunk', used to do me for a 12 hour flight... Ah, memories!

Mercurius

Legend
CHEESE SAMMICH
FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 1-2
ARMOR CLASS: 10
HIT DICE: 1 hp
% IN LAIR: 90%
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1/100 decrease CON
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Smell
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Immune to poison, paralysis
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Non-
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: S (1')
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense: Nil

It's a sandwich.
Treasure type?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A basic cheese sandwich (not grilled, not garnished in any way -- two slices of bread, butter, cheese) is one of my favourite things. You can add stuff and fancy it up, but you don't need to.

I've never had a toasted or grilled cheese sandwich, but I've had cheese on toast a lot (is that the same thing?)

R_J_K75

Legend
I've never had a toasted or grilled cheese sandwich, but I've had cheese on toast a lot (is that the same thing?)
You should try it, its definitely not the same. It has different texture and taste and its worth the time. Better when made in a cast iron pan too. Two slices of buttered bread, cheese of choice and you're good. I'm a white bread and white and yellow American cheese man myself. Go figure, yellow American cheese is actually orange?

aco175

Legend
I have an uncle that toasts the bread first before buttering and grilling the rest. Less soggy inside he says. Never tried it myself. I seen somewhere that you use mayo instead of butter when grilling it. My mom tried it and said don't bother. My daughter is trying to perfect my mother's way of cooking them, since she says only Grammy's taste good. It is just the basic way with Italian bread and white Land-O-Lakes cheese but most things taste better when Grammy makes it.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have an uncle that toasts the bread first before buttering and grilling the rest. Less soggy inside he says. Never tried it myself. I seen somewhere that you use mayo instead of butter when grilling it. My mom tried it and said don't bother. My daughter is trying to perfect my mother's way of cooking them, since she says only Grammy's taste good. It is just the basic way with Italian bread and white Land-O-Lakes cheese but most things taste better when Grammy makes it.
Ive been trying for years to duplicate my deceased grandmothers porcupine meatballs and cant. I failed big time 3 Sundays ago. Out of all of her recipes we still have thats the only one missing. So I concur, Grammys are good.

Mayo isnt worth the trouble, Ive tried it and it didnt add anything that I noticed.

I think the reason that you butter the bread and toast it first is so the bread is saturated with buttery & cheesy goodness. But differnt strokes for differnt folks.

R_J_K75

Legend
Colbyjack melts really well. Back in the day I used to use cheddar but it doesn't have the same flavor as colbyjack on a grilled cheese. If I'm not grilling it I'll use cheddar on white or wheat. For grilled cheese it's colbyjack.
Colby Jack just melts better, its softer than cheddar. Never thought about it but is colby jack just cheddar and American or swiss?

Remove ads