Chew on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willow_Calypso said:
If the majority of the site didn't like the rules then the rooms with the 'cruddy' rules wouldn't be the rooms that aren't empty. No, they're filled with people who either like the rules or at least abide by the rules, because they want to play.

Not entirely true. I only play in the rooms with the "cruddy" rules because they're the only ones with players in them.

Tharivious said:
Just because the CRT sees the most traffic doesn't mean it's the only option. If we all thought that way, there would be one room, no combat rooms, and everyone would sit there playing tag by following alphabetical order. But we have other rooms. We have other options. It just takes someone to actually wake up and use them instead of whinging about no one using them. If a room with more freedom is empty, do something about it and actually, I dunno, use the room; don't just type on the boards how empty the room is.

Who wants to sit alone for 3 hours at a time, waiting in a room for people to show up?

cameroth

First Post
arent we doing something about it now, by voicing our opinions..or complaints as you put it...so what i get from your post is i should make a character for,lets say the bazaar and just sit there for 20 minutes until someone feels like rping with me..now who is sounding ridiculous?..its funny how people post on here thinking they are better than the others who have posted. no one hear has even mentioned anything about sheepish or hearding tendancies that you seem to think we are complying too. its kind of hard not to be drawn to where all the people are when no one is in the other rooms now isnt it? as reality is often used as comparisons on these message boards, people are drawn to other people, not lonliness. i mean really, would you go somewhere where no other people are and hope that someone comes by and talks to you? somehow i doubt you would... :)

Xen_Tiras

First Post
Trust me, I've noticed the underutilization of the Bazaar. Surprisingly, most of my characters are make for the Bazaar, just like they were for Juxta. I have had a few days where nobody shows up, but usually, they do, and I continue to have a good time. If I was a less patient person, I'd make a different character and play in the CRT. But I'm not. Do what you want, but I'll still be having fun like I always have.

Tharivious

First Post
John a.k.a Sir D said:
Who wants to sit alone for 3 hours at a time, waiting in a room for people to show up?
You do know other RPers, right? People that you like to interact with, and get along with, and have similar tastes in common with? Organize something, lead by example, create activity in those locations. More activity will follow more quickly than you would expect. It might take a little bit of time to set up what you want to organize, but it pays off in the long run.

cameroth said:
arent we doing something about it now, by voicing our opinions..or complaints as you put it.
To be as polite as possible: No, you aren't doing anything about it, not that I've seen at least. Doing something is defined by taking action. In this case, taking action would be defined as what I suggest above: Organize something, lead by example, and generate activity by working with people you enjoy interacting with. Voicing an opinion is a start in the general direction of doing something; the next step is actually going somewhere with that opinion and finding a viable solution that you can be happy with (not merely placated by, but genuinely happy with).

..so what i get from your post is i should make a character for,lets say the bazaar and just sit there for 20 minutes until someone feels like rping with me..now who is sounding ridiculous?..its funny how people post on here thinking they are better than the others who have posted.
Never said that I was better than anyone, or that you'll get instant-gratification. To go back to an old analogy I used last spring, ISRP is not a microwave dinner, it is a 3-course meal cooked from scratch. If you expect to be satisfied immediately, be prepared to find yourself disappointed when you're hungry again an hour later. If you invest time in making a something substantial, expect the satisfaction to last you through the night, and you'll have leftovers for lunch.

no one hear has even mentioned anything about sheepish or hearding tendancies that you seem to think we are complying too. its kind of hard not to be drawn to where all the people are when no one is in the other rooms now isnt it?
Reread these two sentences of yours, right here. Now apply your own second sentence to the first, and watch the magic happen. That is herd tendency, by its simplest application: the tendency of human beings to gravitate toward a mass of other human beings.

As for "sheepish", I didn't use that term, now did I? I used the term Sheepism, as in, following herd tendency when you're dissatisfied with the location, activity, and habits of the herd (or in this case, the rules, roleplaying styles, and storylines of a chatroom), is a sign that one is falling into sheep-like (or any herd animal, for that matter) behaviour (as in, the behaviour attributed to those who follow a trend, not because they like it, but because "Everyone else does it!").

as reality is often used as comparisons on these message boards, people are drawn to other people, not lonliness. i mean really, would you go somewhere where no other people are and hope that someone comes by and talks to you? somehow i doubt you would... :)
Actually, I would, and often do. But I also dislike large groups of people doing things that I have no interest in, and don't subject myself to situations where I have to deal with them. I gravitate toward scenarios that will actually, you know, make me happy in the long run rather than the short-term. But maybe that makes me the strange one.

Infernal Scribe

First Post
Jerry Maguire But if anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the ground floor of something real and fun and inspiring and true in this godforsaken business and we will do it together! Who's coming with me besides...”Flipper" here?

this is the arguement i keep hearing. If people aren't happy with the rules, then you want them changed for your own personal pleasure. Because, when it comes down to it. Your here for your pleasure, fun fun. If your not having fun, find someplace where the grass is green and they got pina coladas.

You want service delivered to you, like a pizza delivery. I've been in rooms where people walk in, sit in their separate corners and wait for people to approach them. If you want interaction, interact.

If you play anti-social characters, the anti-hero, or people that generally "oh, im either too shy or i wait for people to come to me because thats how my character is" well, your going to continue to wait. Dude, welcome to a chat, where chat usually means: socialize.

You wait in a room where your the only one, everyone is having fun in the room next door but you don't like next door, because you dislike the colour blue and its all blue in that room. Well, wear some rose-tinted glasses and have fun. Just follow the rules, like polite society.

Your still hanging around, because you want to have fun, because all the best drinks are being served here or the pretty glitter girls and boys. You want violence, nine times out of ten, the bar keep and the bouncer is going to kick you outside, rough you up, and if they're real nice. Pay your cab fare. Except for the Cage. They invite bar fights, thats why its there. And now you wonder, why doesn't people hang out in the Cage? Because people don't like bar fights. It takes a certain gunhoe, im here to chew gum and kick arse and im all out of bubble gum. Not everyone is like that and rather just chew bubble gum.

Now just remember, people are human. Humans have feelings, these are people that think they're doing right and trying to make sure everyone is having fun. Demeaning them is not fun, its disrespectful and shows that deep down, you like hurting people. If you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Its the polite thing to do.

Mr kikonos

First Post
i know that there has been some serious problems with isrp and it's players even the magi from time to time, but really look at all of us squabbleing over how the site is run, i know i've posted many complaints myself under Mystearia but in actuality i just wanted a small change not a big one like the redeemer, i commend him though for haveing the nerve (can't say the other word) to actually go after a magi and the entire isrp as a whole.
i won't badger anyone or complain today, but i actually think that instead of complaining we need to try and start over, like take another vote on the site rules, they might be the same they might be different and who knows whats in store for the isrp, i'm not a magi so i couldnt tell you, but if we keep attacking eachother and complaining about what we dont like then there is no reason for anyone to stay on the site much longer cause it'll be a revolveing door of complaints and harassmental comments. and frankly everyone is getting tired of them, i know i am at least.
Thank you all
Nicolas M (my real name)

also i don't want to know who it is or even why but i'm leaveing my email adress for the Redeemer to speak with me, it's my secondary e-mail ( nanomecha@yahoo.com )

Tharivious said:
You do know other RPers, right? People that you like to interact with, and get along with, and have similar tastes in common with? Organize something, lead by example, create activity in those locations. More activity will follow more quickly than you would expect. It might take a little bit of time to set up what you want to organize, but it pays off in the long run.

Of course I know RPers. Are you that daft?

Problem is, most of them left the site. Or aren't on much.

And I've tried organizing something.

I'm not dumb enough to complain about this issue that I was having, if I hadn't already tried organizing something, or trying to entice people to play.

You may have noticed how people respond to my, "I need to find people to role-play with" threads. They don't really work out.

Kallikrates

First Post
Infernal Scribe>

You make a valid point. If someone just takes their character and puts him/her/it in the corner and doesn't interact it's not gonna be fun for them. I understand that completely, but my mindset if unique, I suppose. I find that I cannot just interrupt others if they are already in the middle of an RP session.

I'm not sure why, I suppose I don't want to risk being obnoxious to my fellow RPers.

John> Grief...randomly pick one of your characters and then randomly pick another character on the site and see if ya can get a conversation/fight/something going! You don't need to have a draft to see who's gonna come rushing to your side. I like RPing on the fly, not predetermined meetings.

Everyone else> I suppose the CRT is the most frequented place of all the rooms. Ironically enough only 2 of my 6 remaining characters are tailored for the tavern. The other 4 I had to put in disguise so as they can get into the tavern without causing a huge ruckus.

I've had crazy good times RPing from the days of WoTC to now at EnWorld.
I may have lost half of my creations*moment of silence* but my resolve is still strong to go up here and have fun.

But beyond that, I don't have a complaint, save that everyone needs to cool down a bit before they end up typing insults like children would scream at each other during recess.

Oh...If anyone feels they think they may have a problem with any of my six characters then take a wild stab to see which ones I may or may not control so we can resolve the issue as nicely as possible.

But if ya don't feel like guessing, just email me!

*meanders off to wonder why he's so happy*

Bari

First Post
John a.k.a Sir D said:
Of course I know RPers. Are you that daft?

Now that sounds like a personal attack there...

John a.k.a Sir D said:
Problem is, most of them left the site. Or aren't on much.

Then meet new people? PM them and say hi! You know most of them will loft an eyebrow at you and say, "Hello? Do I know you from somewhere?" But so what? it's not like they're gonna kick you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads