Chicago Gameday 37 Event Planning

buzz

Adventurer
[h1]Gameday 37 Planning Thread[/h1]

This is the planning thread for Chicago Gameday 37.
Gameday 37 is being held on March 15th, 2014, at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL.

What is Chicago Gameday?

[h2]How to Submit an Event[/h2]
If you would like to run an event for Chicago Gameday, please follow these three steps.

[h3]1. Post your event description in this thread[/h3]
Your event description must include the following:
  • [highlight]Time[/highlight]: morning (9:30 a.m.) or afternoon (3:30 p.m.) slot;
  • [highlight]Game system[/highlight]: e.g., "D&D 4e";
  • [highlight]Event Title[/highlight]: e.g., "The Caves of Chaos";
  • [highlight]Description[/highlight]: ideally, short and to the point; here are some guidelines from designer/editor Ryan Macklin;
  • [highlight]An image[/highlight]: one you wish associated with your event description, or else state that you are happy to leave that up to me;
  • [highlight]Content Rating[/highlight]: choose either "Kid-Friendly" or "Adults Only";
  • [highlight]Number of Players[/highlight]: total your event can accomodate, not including yourself;
  • [highlight]Table Preference[/highlight]: If you need a specific table or want to reserve the private room, say so in your post below. However, please be aware that table assignments may be adjusted depending on the size of your event.
[h3]2. Make sure I have a way of contacting you[/h3]
Either like us on Facebook or provide me with your email address so I can add you to our mailing list. You can email me at buzz (at) buzzmo (dot) com. If you have Private Messaging enabled here at ENWorld, that works, too.
[h3]3. Subscribe to this thread on ENWorld or else make sure to check it regularly.[/h3]

[h2]How to Be a Great Gameday GM[/h2]
[highlight]You should create a safe, friendly space for your event.[/highlight]
Introduce yourself and help introduce the players to each other. Be accommodating to people with special needs, e.g., someone who needs to sit closer to you in order to hear better. Be sensitive to players who let you know they are uncomfortable with certain topics your game may address; do what you can to make them comfortable. In short, treat your players as you would guests in your home.

[highlight]You should be aware of how long your event lasts.[/highlight]
Four hours is the ideal minimum. Morning events should end with enough time left to allow you and your players to get lunch and spend some time shopping before the start of afternoon event slot. Afternoon events should keep both the Metra schedules and the store's hours in mind.

[highlight]You should come to Gameday prepared to run your event[/highlight]
...no matter how many people have signed up for it. If you don't want to run your event, let me know as soon as possible, and I will remove it from the schedule.

[h2]Gameday 37 Proposed Event Lineup[/h2]

Morning: 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
  1. 13th Age, willowx, private room (Table C)
  2. Numenera, Trevalon Moonleirion
  3. FAE, Pbartender
  4. Dresden FAE, Ninjacat
  5. Castles & Crusades, strider1970
  6. HeroQuest, Teldurn
  7. Dresden Files RPG, buzz
  8. Cold City/Hot War, ekb

Afternoon: 3:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
  1. Marvel Heroic, Vyvyan Basterd
  2. The Play's The Thing, PhilK
  3. World Wide Wrestling, Nathan Paoletta
  4. Dread, Ninjacat
  5. Heroine, Genevieve80
  6. Danger Patrol, sailorkitsune
  7. Fate Accelerated / Youxia: Wandering Force playtest, Reidzilla
  8. Conspiracy of Shadows: Apprentice, Tim C Koppang

[highlight]This thread is for planning purposes only. Player sign-up will be handled by Warhorn.net.[/highlight]

Last edited:

willowx

First Post
I want to run a dungeoncrawl event in the private room in the morning, using Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles, minis, and electric tea candles as actual lighting. Given the last item, it really only works in the private room.

I'll have room for up to six players. I haven't decided 100% what system I want to use for this.

buzz

Adventurer
I want to run a dungeoncrawl event in the private room in the morning, using Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles, minis, and electric tea candles as actual lighting. Given the last item, it really only works in the private room.

I'll have room for up to six players. I haven't decided 100% what system I want to use for this.

Added! The private room is all yours!

Nev the Deranged

First Post
I'll snag a table. Not sure what for yet. Let's make it an evening slot, though, as I might want to get in on whatever Willow's brewing in there...

Hey buzz!

I'll take a morning slot for now, and I'm planning to run Numenera for up to 6 folks. I'll work up a description and post it here later, but I'll likely be running one of the sample adventures from the core book unless I feel especially inspired.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Time: afternoon slot, just in case I have to work
Game system: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Event Title: It's a Nova Prime Thing!
Description: The Worldmind has been downloaded and rescued.Now you just need to get it off-planet before the Annihilation Wave overtakes you and corrupts the Worldmind for its own purposes.
An image: unless my players step up with an appropriate image I'll leave it up to you Buzz
Content Rating: Adults Only
Number of Players: 4
Table Preference: Table by the back door

Pbartender

First Post
Buzz, please set me up for a game in the morning slot...

• [highlight]Time[/highlight]: morning (9:30 a.m.)
  • [highlight]Game system[/highlight]: Fate Accelerated Edition
  • [highlight]Event Title[/highlight]: STAR WARS: Behind Enemy Lines
  • [highlight]Description[/highlight]: Now that the survivors of a Separatist ambush have escaped to a pocket of neutral territory, they must follow rumors of a gun runner who may be able to help them strike back against the enemy forces that surround them. Can the stalwart crew of the Mary Sue get their hands on the weaponry they need to turn a battered, second-hand freighter into a deadly machine of war? Find out in "Tricks of the Trade"... the next exciting chapter of STAR WARS: Behind Enemy Lines!
  • [highlight]An image[/highlight]:
    promo172298878.png
  • [highlight]Content Rating[/highlight]: Kid-Friendly
  • [highlight]Number of Players[/highlight]: 6
  • [highlight]Table Preference[/highlight]: None

Last edited:

Ninjacat

First Post
Okay, Buzz, last GameDay we were discussing next time, and I said I was planning on running Dread and maybe Something Else if some manner of details worked out, and you said that sounded like a promise. Hold me to my promise, Buzz, 'cuz I don't remember what it was! Possibly something Kickstarter-related, Cartoon Action Hour: Season 3, maybe?

Meh, no idea. Somebody propose I run something, and I might. In the meanwhile, I'll run my Dread event, either slot, if Laurie or anybody wants to both play my Dread and be in something else.

Dread
Welcome to Arkham (Hope You Survive)
5 Players
Adults Only
Any Jenga-Friendly/Low-Traffic Table
WTAhys.jpg
Dread is a game of rising tension, where every action might mean disaster, and every action that doesn't lead to disaster makes the next action more likely to be the disastrous one. Dread accomplishes this with Jenga...every action your character takes requires at least one pull from the tower, rising tension indeed. (More information on this event is available at my site, here.)

Crazy?
I was crazy once. Heard voices in my head. Telling me things, like to kill everyone I ever loved, scoop out their eyeballs, and play marbles. Or to strip naked, run outside, howl at the moon, and paint the town red...with whatever red substance I could find. Things like that.

Thing was, they never stopped. Even when I did what they said.​

It drove me Crazy.​

Crazy? I was Crazy once...

Remove ads