Chicago Gameday XI a success! Share your war stories.

William Ronald

Explorer
pogre said:

I forgot to mention. Please check out the yellow arrow and you will see an actual use for your VHS D&D movie - holding down a game mat. Yes, this was a prize, and yes, it was the last prize taken!

One of the players at our table claimed the Dungeons and Dragon movie, which I understand makes an excellent mat holder, door stop, and can double for a skeet in target practice if needed. ;)

I am glad that you had fun and made the long drive to Mount Prospect.

As for the next Gameday, we will have to think about some possible dates. Maybe we can check on the schedule, once thalmin has a clearer idea of what is coming up in October and November.

Sqwonk, Against the Giants would be a good game. Obviously, you will have to make some changes to the adventure as 3.5 Hill Giants are tougher than their earlier counterparts. Maybe fewer giants, or more young giants who have not achieved their full growth. Hmm, Against the Teenage Delinquent Hill Giants, perhaps.

Again, thanks to everyone for making the Gameday a success despite the last minute cancellations.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
So... any comments on some of the new things we tried this Gameday? The mini-events? Giving GMs first go at the prize table?

Ninjacat

First Post
buzz said:
So... any comments on some of the new things we tried this Gameday? The mini-events? Giving GMs first go at the prize table?

I think both went well!

(Of course, being one of said GM's, I may be a tad biased, heh. What does the other side of the coin think?)

Though I must say that a half-slot requires more preparation than a full one, not less. I managed to do such an excellent job splitting my preparation efforts between both my events that neither one was as ready as I would've liked, lol. I'll go ahead and offer a Hercules & Xena event/half-event for next time right now. I GM'd that system for years and can confidently do so in my sleep, so that should go smoother and allow more prep for another half-event, if such is the case.

Anybody else?

William Ronald

Explorer
I think that the half-slot events worked well. They provided a chance for people to learn about new games and gaming systems, and also gave some people the option of showing up a little later than 9:30 A.M. I think letting the GMs pick first was a way to show appreciation for volunteers.

I do think that it might be a good idea to try to include a D&D event in each slot. This might help in recruiting some new players to join in the Gameday, who can find at least one gaming system that they are comfortable with in addition to playing other games. I think we can perhaps try to get some new people at future Gamedays.

Nikmal

First Post
Even though I should have still technically been on bed rest.. I truely enjoyed the day! The Seminar did not have as large a turn out as the last game day.. but that is ok as well.. I got to paint this time around hehe... Got to finish the Babe of the Week... and now she sits in the Display case at Games plus in all her ummmm glory? hehe. I am looking forward to the next game day.. and would love to see more people at the paint seminar.. but I do realize that it is a GAME day and not a PAINT day :)

I would like to mention though as well. I do have some CD's to give away that I made up for the people at the seminar and for anyone else that would like one.. it has alot of PDF's on it explaining certain techniques and such.. as well as color theory too. IT is extremely informative as well! If you would like one.. please let me know via email, curt or come see me at the game store on Wednsday nights at the game store.

If for some reason in the next couple of weeks I am not there on a wed night it is because I am will be out due to surgery.. so just leave a note then or some such and I will leave the CD then ok :)
Thanks for the great game day buzz!! Curt thaanks again for letting us set up there and your awesome hospitality as well.
Thanks everyone!!
-jon

Bront

The man with the probe
Ninjacat said:
I'll go ahead and offer a Hercules & Xena event/half-event for next time right now.
Conga!!! :D :lol:

On the half-events, I actualy would have been happier with full events. I was interested in trying the Skull and Bones system, but I wasn't realy interested in the other half events, so I ended up doing something else. I guess it's not a bad thing in many cases, but I personaly would have prefered that at least one of them had been a full event.

But, since everyone else had fun, it's not like it went poorly for those who did go that route, so who am I to argue.

Remove ads