Chicago

Okay, I have to ask ... Has anyone had any luck connecting with other players through this thread?

I'm wondering how it can be so difficult to find other gamers in a city like Chicago. What's with that?! When I used to live in New Jersey, it was really easy to find other players. But I guess that was because the local gaming store had a Gamers Seeking Gamers page on their website.

Is there some way that other Chicago gamers know about that just has not come to my attention yet?

pensiv

Explorer
Well, I think your major difficulty lies in the fact that you don't live in Chicago. I think very few people that live in Chicago want to go very far out of town to game. I know I'm a lazy bum without a car, so that limits my options.

Otherwise, I would say that one of the best ways to meet local gamers that also happen to post to these boards is to visit the ENWorld Chicago Gameday. It happens every few months, November 9th being the next excursion. You can find the thread for it here: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21970

IvarBoneCrusher

First Post
Chicago North Side Game

Wow,

What a blizzard of replies to this post! Maybe Chicago isn't the desert of gaming that I thought it was...

Some of you I've already corresponded with on my WotC ad, but others I haven't. I'm looking to form or join a 3rd edition D&D campaign on the North Side of the City of Chicago. Unfortunately, location is critical for me and Evanston is too far North, while Lansing is out the question, too. So, those who've been posting here for a City-game, give me a shout. I'm soon to be 35, and looking for a regular, mature, core D&D game to get in on and keep going for a long time.

I'm in Lakeview by the way. Available time slots are: Sunday afternoons (5 - 10 PM) and Tuesday nights (6 - 10 PM). e-mail is stu_pedasso@ameritech.net.

Thanks

MooCow

First Post
I'm looking to get together a new gaming group. I have a D&D3e campaign I'm itching to run.

I'm looking for 4-6 players for an Epic Campaign in the Al-Quadim world setting (I've got 3rd edition conversions). By Epic I mean starting at 2nd level going to 15th (or around there). Along the way the characters will save the world. Or die trying <insert evil DM laughter>

I'm looking to play every other weekend to start with. Possibly more often if the group can swing it.

I'm not sure of the Location at the moment. I live in the Southwest suburbs, but I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere in Chicagoland. I'll be looking for somewhere that is a good location for all the players.

I'm looking for Roleplayers, not Rollplayers. I put alot of emphasis on characters, and try to work elements from character backgrounds into my stories. Often, more XP is awarded for roleplaying then for hack&slash.

If anyone is interested, reply here or e-mail me at moocowk@aol.com (topic "D&D in Chicagoland").

MatthewJ

First Post
Hey, MooCow! Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

It's been awhile since the last post, so I thought I would reply and see if anyone was still looking for players. My roommate and I recently relocated to Chicago and live in the Ravenswood area, just off the brown line, and we're looking for a serious D&D game to start up or join. A weekly to bi-weekly game would be ideal, though the meeting time might vary a bit from week to week--I'm a working writer and he's a working musician and we both have dayjobs mixed in as well.

We are mature DMs and Players looking for the same to form a long-term gaming group. We've developed an original world to accommodate most any role-playing taste, and we value story and character over hack-and-slash gaming or power players. We have plenty of room to play and we're right off the el, so if anyone on the northside has room for two players or would like to start a new group let me know. I can be contacted at matthewjent@aol.com.

Relic

First Post
MatthewJ said:
Hey, MooCow! Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

It's been awhile since the last post, so I thought I would reply and see if anyone was still looking for players. My roommate and I recently relocated to Chicago and live in the Ravenswood area, just off the brown line, and we're looking for a serious D&D game to start up or join. A weekly to bi-weekly game would be ideal, though the meeting time might vary a bit from week to week--I'm a working writer and he's a working musician and we both have dayjobs mixed in as well.

We are mature DMs and Players looking for the same to form a long-term gaming group. We've developed an original world to accommodate most any role-playing taste, and we value story and character over hack-and-slash gaming or power players. We have plenty of room to play and we're right off the el, so if anyone on the northside has room for two players or would like to start a new group let me know. I can be contacted at matthewjent@aol.com.

While I am quoting MatthewJ this post applies to any who may have an interest. I am currently the DM of a small group of mature players that play in downtown Chicago (3-4 blocks south of State and Congress). Within the group the youngest is 25 while the oldest is 29 (maybe 30... I forgot how old one of the players is). Currently the group is numbered at four people; with an even number of male and female players. Thus, any male or female players are welcome to join.

We play every Saturday between 2 PM and 10 PM usually (it varies and is flexible). Sometimes we play every other Saturday as life isn't all about D&D (I know, a shame...). We play a mix of roleplaying, problem-solving, and hack n' slash. There is a big emphasis on character development and growth, however. A new campaign was recently started: the players are almost 3rd level and will be exploring the horror-filled setting of Ravenloft in the very near future.

So... if anyone is interested and: a) wishes to sit in for a setting, b) wants more info, or c) whatever... you can contact me by email at: QuelikynDM@hotmail.com.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Someone asked if anyone had any luck with people here. I had one player, Igor for a while. Good guy but he had problems with the groups then inability to have a regular GM and keep the infighting to a minimum. Good guy.

I may actually start looking for a Sunday game to get into, preferably one every other week. Anyone know of such a deal?

Oh yeah, the Gamesday. Great stuff. I might be interested in seeing if Mark would like to do a 'campaign' theme where you use the same characters you brought from one GD to another or utilize the RPGA into that field somehow... Might be interesting to find out.

Pbartender

First Post
You know, I'd noticed that there are a lot of Gamers around Chicago and its Suburbs... I'm way out in Batavia.

Would people be interested if we (or I) compiled a directory of Chicago Gamers and perhaps Gaming stores?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think that would be cool. Game Stores especially as I never seem to notice any in the city proper.

The Gamer thing would be interesting. Spreadsheet maybe? Name, Favored Game/Genre, Playing Now, Need Players (Y/N), max plyaers, location (North, South, Subs, etc...)

Relic

First Post
It seems that there are a lot of players that are in the vicinity of Chicago... but few that are within Chicago itself. I think that a directory of both gamers and gaming locations would be a great help for many people, as long as they are aware of it. I know of a couple of gaming locations (Mount Prospect, one near Roger's Park in Chicago, two in the far-north suburbs). I know a couple of gamers outside my group but that is not many. I do know, however, that there are plenty gamers around (just hard to find).

I would be willing to help in the creation of a directory. My computer skills are not fantastic though. Adequate, yes (html and some c++)... certainly rusty though.

Remove ads