Choose One Cantrip You'd Like In Real Life

Choose One Cantrip You'd Like In Real Life

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My wife played a superhero on a Stan Lee show where her character's super power was...cleaning. Which is the power she chose. The idea that she could point at a section of our shower ceiling as much as 10 feet away and simply clean it to perfection with a word really IS her idea of a great super power!
Really? That's awesome! Was she Basura? That's the character I remember with a name I guess somewhat related to cleaning (Basura being the Spanish word for trash I want to say.)

I watched both seasons of Who Wants To Be A Superhero. Great fun!

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Really? That's awesome! Was she Basura? That's the character I remember with a name I guess somewhat related to cleaning (Basura being the Spanish word for trash I want to say.)

I loved that Show! My cousin was on it as well.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I am so not the "fix it" guy. I have to go for mending. 1001 uses.

I was going to pick guidance as a close second. That extra d4 on things I try to do in real life could really help. It probably would have come in handy when I was a student. I could have used a boost to my test taking skills and to my athletics in high school and college.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I am so not the "fix it" guy. I have to go for mending. 1001 uses.

I was going to pick guidance as a close second. That extra d4 on things I try to do in real life could really help. It probably would have come in handy when I was a student. I could have used a boost to my test taking skills and to my athletics in high school and college.
Guidance would probably be banned in test situations and sporting events. Invigilators and umpires would probably have detect magic up to catch it. Of course if only cantrips are allowed then they'd just have to be on the look out for spellcasting.

I

Immortal Sun

I agree I am just a bit confounded on the pratical application. A tire break? Sure, mending should work. But and unknown engine problem? If I can identify a hole somewhere or break, OK that's an easy fix for this spell. But if I have no idea what's wrong? Can you just touch the engine and attempt to mend it without knowing what or where the break is at? I dunno.

I would assume that it would be specific to the part. So you still might have to disassemble your engine to locate the damaged part, but then PRESTO CHANGO! your part is fixed, put the engine back together and poof you're done. That could be annoying for some issues (such as if you had thrown a rod or a stuck lifter) for other issues, such as a cracked transmission casing it would be a breeze.

It would also be great for electrical issues, even if all it did was repair a single wire.

Would also be great for cracked/broken windows or lights.

In a modern-set game however, I would have no issue with people using Mending on an "engine" since I don't expect to role-play through engine diagnostics.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

She was Hygena, though I know Basura still :)

Harzel

Adventurer
Spare the Dying - certainly first choice if it did what you might hope it would, but since creatures don't die IRL as they do in D&D, it's uncertain.

Guidance - true, it has wide application, but it's effect is probabilistic. You can still fail, and if you succeed, you will never know exactly when it helped. It would only be satisfying if you were doing something repeatedly like shooting free throws or (as someone mentioned) gambling. Also, it will be banned from all my future campaigns, so I would feel a bit hypocritical taking it. :blush:

Prestidigitation, Mending - very practical, but ...

Mage Hand - My childhood fantasy was being able to do telekinesis, and this is about as close as you can get with a cantrip, so that's what I'll go with.
Fidelity to character > optimality. :p

Remove ads