• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Christian Persecution vs Persecuted Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it isn't all conservatives, either. There are several who are speaking out about this kind of thing. They're just being drowned out by the others.There is some media fault in this, in that they're mostly covering the ones causing the stir, and not reporting so often on those cooler heads who are warning their own against the backlash. Same thing happens with news coverage of Islam: you see in-depth reports of the daily horrors and a ousts committed in its name, but you seldom see the words & actions of the liberal and moderates who push back against the tide of radicalism.
I'll just do what conservatives do to Muslims and ignore the non-crazy Christian conservatives. :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I know all that. My point is that conservatives don't have any problem with doing it. Although it doesn't only apply to political conservatives, the article is about conservatives, so I limited my post to them.

And, in so doing, delivered statements that did not make it clear that you knew all that, that carried a fairly accusative implication that would tend to generate argument from conservatives who felt you were being unfair.

Which, I take you already knew, of course? That would make it an interesting choice of presentation....

Luckily, we have clarified that the issue is not actually one-sided, so no argument will be forthcoming. That's a fine outcome, I think, and we can move on.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Isn't reducing the size of government, and saving taxpayers money a religious belief among conservatives?
No, they aren't. Conservatives are not monolithic and tend to largely subdivide into fiscal and social conservatives. Even fiscal conservatives differ, with the one most common tenet being 'the budget should be balanced' although what 'balanced' means is even up for debate in some circles. Conservatism is a big tent word, much like liberal, and there aren't "religious" beliefs in either. Perhaps, if you don't understand the positions of others, you could ask instead of making blanket, insulting generalizations?

I'll just do what conservatives do to Muslims and ignore the non-crazy Christian conservatives. :p
Like this.

No, they aren't. Conservatives are not monolithic and tend to largely subdivide into fiscal and social conservatives. Even fiscal conservatives differ, with the one most common tenet being 'the budget should be balanced' although what 'balanced' means is even up for debate in some circles. Conservatism is a big tent word, much like liberal, and there aren't "religious" beliefs in either. Perhaps, if you don't understand the positions of others, you could ask instead of making blanket, insulting generalizations?

Like this.

Perhaps if you'd realized I was being sarcastic, you wouldn't get upset an make incorrect assumptions that I don't understand "the positions of others," but would rather just joke about it, like in the second post you quoted.;)

And, in so doing, delivered statements that did not make it clear that you knew all that, that carried a fairly accusative implication that would tend to generate argument from conservatives who felt you were being unfair.
I can live with that.

Which, I take you already knew, of course?
Yes.
That would make it an interesting choice of presentation....

Luckily, we have clarified that the issue is not actually one-sided, so no argument will be forthcoming. That's a fine outcome, I think, and we can move on.
I can live with that as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If the conservative base was as diverse as you say, the policies the conservative politicians propose to the base that votes for them would more diverse.

Actually, Ovinomancer's destination is basically accurate, at least in terms of US politics. While the GOP isn't as diverse as the Democratic party's political demographics, there is a profound distinction between the fiscal conservatives and the social conservatives*. That philosophical divide is a BIG part of why John McCain railed for years about the GOP avoiding extensive entanglement with the religious right...until he needed their money & influence in 2008.

The GOP, thus, became a party that has held together by winning. But their victories are diminishing in quality and quantity. Even as GOP candidates took seats in the legislature over the past few election cycles, more of the winning policy proposals that went to the ballot in those years were essentially in accord with the philosophies espoused by the Democrats. Simply put, people voted for Republican lawmakers but Democratic laws.

* there are also key- albeit overlapping- divisions within the social conservatives as well, notably between mainstream religious conservatives and the racists brought into the party via the Southern Strategy.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Perhaps if you'd realized I was being sarcastic, you wouldn't get upset an make incorrect assumptions that I don't understand "the positions of others," but would rather just joke about it, like in the second post you quoted.;)

The defense of "you didn't get my sarcasm" when your just being insulting is of little worth. It's still insulting.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If the conservative base was as diverse as you say, the policies the conservative politicians propose to the base that votes for them would more diverse.
No, because the national party must aggregate and attempt to hit a set of positions that most of the party can swallow. The policies of the Democrat party are similarly unrepresentative of the breadth of the member's positions. Further, as noted, there's a lot of anger in the base against the establishment as being unrepresentative (a problem in Democrat circke as well, as my very liberal friend are increasingly upset with the party). This is why Trump and Sanders are doing so well -- they speak against the establishment line(s). Neither, however, are the least bit popular with the other base (the Donald does better than Bernie on this, though).

Look at the front runners of the Republican field right now, three outsiders and Rubio. The three outsiders are not saying the same things (theres overlap, but it's not uniform) as each other and that's not the same as Rubio, who himself is somewhat distant from the establishment. The establishment candidate, Bush, is doing okay, but not leading. All of this is a clear sign that the party isn't monolithic and that there are deep divides on issues.

The only really unifying tenet among Republicans is that they don't like Democrat policies slightly more than they don't like the Republican policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads