• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chromatic Dragonborn origin?

hello!

Whats the origin of dragonborns?
How come there are chromatic colored dragonborns when they don't have the ability to shapeshift?

I imagine metallic dragons shapeshifted as a human/humanoid thus there was inter specie breeding.

Thanks!

Valetudo

Adventurer
4th edition dragonborn werent based off chromatic or metallic. Thats something they added in 5th for some reason. I mean we still have half dragons for that. Anyways chromatics still can have spellcasting and that is where they come from.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dragonborn don't come from dragons banging humans, they are either a natural race, or a race created as is by a god/other supernatural origin. They aren't descended from dragons, either way.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Dragonborn don't come from dragons banging humans, they are either a natural race, or a race created as is by a god/other supernatural origin. They aren't descended from dragons, either way.
they are a true dragon species or race, atleast they where in 4th. Like i said they added the colors and metals in 5th.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Actually, I think they added that in a dragon article during 4e, as an optional thing.

edit: to be clear, they are still a true race in 5e

flametitan

Explorer
In 5e they're just humanoids. The default lore in the PHB is that they seem to be a fusion of dragon and humanoid performed by the gods to create a true race that can reproduce on their own, unlike the half dragon, which is basically a mule.

In the Forgotten Realms their origins are unclear, but they're said to be created by Io distinct from dragons, hence why they have a draconic connection while not being considered part of the "dragon" type.

transtemporal

Explorer
In ancient lore, Dragonborn were created by the mystics of the WotC marketing department when the original idea of "anime cat-girl" race was shot down.

The cat girl could have been a nice addition. ;)

Anyway, as said earlier, Dragonborn are a race of their own. I don't really use them in my campaings so the thought of their metalic or chromatic origin never occured to me.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm pretty sure you have to tell us...What is the origin of Chromatic Dragonborn in your world/game setting?

What do you [presuming you're the DM] want it to be?

Otherwise, ask your DM, they're the only one with the answer to this...if there is one "set in stone" versus unverifiable legend or a creation myth.

Lanliss

Explorer
hello!

Whats the origin of dragonborns?
How come there are chromatic colored dragonborns when they don't have the ability to shapeshift?

I imagine metallic dragons shapeshifted as a human/humanoid thus there was inter specie breeding.

Thanks!

If it default 5E you are asking about, both Chromatic and Metallic dragonborn were teleported in by the spell plague, from a different plane of existence(read "different setting") IIRC. In that setting, legends abound about the different way they may have come into being, from experiments to literally being born from drops of God blood. If you haven't yet, you may want to check out the SCAG.

Remove ads