• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Chromatic Dragonborn origin?

I'm pretty sure you have to tell us...What is the origin of Chromatic Dragonborn in your world/game setting?

What do you [presuming you're the DM] want it to be?

Otherwise, ask your DM, they're the only one with the answer to this...if there is one "set in stone" versus unverifiable legend or a creation myth.

In my setting I'm thinking that dragonborns are literally an interbreeding between a dragon and a human. Just some greek gods shapeshifting as humans and fathering to demi-gods. So I'm checking if this lore is close to the truth on dragonborn origins.

And it is known that chromatic dragons worshipping tiamat are all evil.

I initially thought of an NPC having a chromatic (evil) father dragon but is fighting for good and is faced with a discremination of being a chromatic dragonborn. My PCs should initially see him as a threat but will find out that he is actually helping (or will still have doubts if his intentions are true).

But then I checked chromatic ancient dragons and found that they dont have shapeshifring abilities like with chromatic dragons.

Since the campain might cross the rise of tiamat campaign I'm now thinking that it will be revealed that perhaps tiamat has granted her chromatic (ancient only) dragons to have a way to shapeshift and wreak havoc in the human plane.

We'll see if that plot will work...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I see no reason that it wouldn't. Sounds like you have it all worked out. :)

That the book doesn't give them an ability that in-story you want them to have is...really kind of irrelevant. Have fun with your game.

How many chromatic dragonborn are you planning on having running around in your world? If this is just some singular NPC, why do all ancient chromatic dragons need in-story justified access to shapeshifting at all? Is it enough to say, for your current purposes, for some [known or unknown] diabolical reason, the parent of this particular NPC somehow did [got access to a polymorph, boon from Tiamat herself, found a magic item and thought he'd have some fun, whatever, it doesn't really matter] and now this singular NPC exists.

Xeviat

Hero
In 3Es Races of the Dragon, all dragonborn were blessed by Bahamut, so their lore has changed a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flametitan

Explorer
In my setting I'm thinking that dragonborns are literally an interbreeding between a dragon and a human. Just some greek gods shapeshifting as humans and fathering to demi-gods. So I'm checking if this lore is close to the truth on dragonborn origins.

And it is known that chromatic dragons worshipping tiamat are all evil.

I initially thought of an NPC having a chromatic (evil) father dragon but is fighting for good and is faced with a discremination of being a chromatic dragonborn. My PCs should initially see him as a threat but will find out that he is actually helping (or will still have doubts if his intentions are true).

But then I checked chromatic ancient dragons and found that they dont have shapeshifring abilities like with chromatic dragons.

Since the campain might cross the rise of tiamat campaign I'm now thinking that it will be revealed that perhaps tiamat has granted her chromatic (ancient only) dragons to have a way to shapeshift and wreak havoc in the human plane.

We'll see if that plot will work...

I see two solutions:

1. Ignore the Monster Manual's stipulation that only metallic dragons can shapechange, and allow chromatics to do so as well. It's what I do in my own worlds, and if I recall, even WotC did that with one of the dragons in SKT.

2. Just because a chromatic dragon can't shapechange natively doesn't mean they can't transform at all. The older ones still have access to true polymorph, after all.

Off hand, my own origin for Dragonborn in my setting is that they're the result of half-dragons turning to magic to have children of their own. As a half dragon can be made by both reproduction and rituals, it makes for a fairly simple solution as to why chromatic Dragonborn exist, even if chromatics can't shapechange.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If it default 5E you are asking about, both Chromatic and Metallic dragonborn were teleported in by the spell plague, from a different plane of existence(read "different setting") IIRC. In that setting, legends abound about the different way they may have come into being, from experiments to literally being born from drops of God blood. If you haven't yet, you may want to check out the SCAG.
Not rly so much a different setting, as a forgotten world in the same setting. Otherwise tho, yeah, that.

Dragonborn don't come from dragons banging humans, they are either a natural race, or a race created as is by a god/other supernatural origin. They aren't descended from dragons, either way.
In other words: "dragonborn" is the worst name ever for them. :)

The cat girl could have been a nice addition. ;)
Oh, don't worry, they're on their way.

1. Ignore the Monster Manual's stipulation that only metallic dragons can shapechange, and allow chromatics to do so as well. It's what I do in my own worlds, and if I recall, even WotC did that with one of the dragons in SKT.
Also, the half-dragon in the MM is half-red.

flametitan

Explorer
In other words: "dragonborn" is the worst name ever for them. :)

Which is why I rather like how in Ashes of the Tyrant Erin Evans explains that dragonborn is merely what others call them, while they personally go by a different name.

Also, the half-dragon in the MM is half-red.

While the two Half-dragons in Hoard of the Dragon Queen are blue/black respectively. I believe that was explained by the MM having a means of creating half dragons through a magic ritual.

Valetudo

Adventurer
At least in 3rd edition, half dragons could have children. One of the last books(I dont remember the name) Had a dragonblooded template. Honestly I dont remeber later editions changing that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In other words: "dragonborn" is the worst name ever for them. :).

I would have preferred draconian, or a less on the nose sounding made up name that reads and sounds like draconic, but I wouldn't call it a bad name, just because it isn't "accurate". Names of stuff are inaccurate IRL all the time.

By made up, I mean wholly invented, rather than a combination of words, or a play on an existing word.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads