• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chuck

James Heard

Explorer
OK, since I don't see any threads about Chuck on the first page I thought I'd toss one out for people to discuss the show. Personally I'm still kind of meh on it. The hook is a little cheesy, but for show that was bound to remind me of Jake 2.0 no matter what I think it did a pretty good job of distinguishing itself. Yvonne Strzechowski is hot, and they certainly padded the pilot with enough cut scenes of her walking around in lingerie.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The comedy was a grade above what I was expecting, and I liked how the ending set things up for more.

The fight scene with Ninja-Sarah in Chuck's home had me laughing out loud, particularly with that music playing! Great stuff! :D

wolff96

First Post
I agree about the comparison to Jake 2.0 -- it was inevitable.

Despite that fact, I think it's distinct enough to stand on it's own. Chuck is definitely not going to be a secret agent any time soon. He's more like the random plot generator than an actual capable person. (Though I loved that his job saved the day with a computer virus.)

Yvonne Strzechowski is a very beautiful woman. I'm not sure I buy her as a super-agent, but she did a solid job of selling it in the pilot. We'll see if they can keep that up.

On the other hand, Jayne -- er, Adam Baldwin -- was a really great casting choice. His line about killing them and going for pancakes was downright stupid, but the ACTOR managed to sell it. Not to mention that I'm amused to see him apparently working at "Buy More" at the end.

--------------------------

The one thing I'm not clear on from the pilot... Is this computer supposed to be some kind of AI? Because they made it sound like the program itself was interpolating attacks and upcoming threats from all the data.

Only one thing bugged me and I'm doing my best to ignore it... Chuck was staring at complex images with embedded information for HOURS. And the super-spy supposedly uploaded the file in a few seconds from his remote PDA? Pssh... that's less believable than the rest of the episode combined. :)

drothgery

First Post
wolff96 said:
Only one thing bugged me and I'm doing my best to ignore it... Chuck was staring at complex images with embedded information for HOURS. And the super-spy supposedly uploaded the file in a few seconds from his remote PDA? Pssh... that's less believable than the rest of the episode combined. :)

Yeah. It's pretty obvious that they don't have anyone on staff who knows much about real computers (or real intelligence agencies).

Arnwyn

First Post
I thought it was okay. I really liked the characters and the non-spy stuff. And the ninja scene was hilarious.

The spy stuff was stupid. The whole CIA vs. NSA attacking-each-other nonsense was ludicrously stupid, and was also overly convoluted. Dumb, and just there to create some sort of conflict in an episode that otherwise wouldn't have had any.

Definitely promising, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads