Church Inquisitor/Malconvoker Build Help

laughinggas

First Post
Hey everybody,

My current 3.5 campaign just ended but we are gearing up to start the "sequel" to the campaign. For various reasons, I am looking to move on from my current character and try something new. After tossing around a few ideas I landed on the Malconvoker and the fun elements it can bring. I was hoping to build in some Church Inquisitor because it has a lot of flavor itself and it would fit great for the character concept.

We are starting at level 10 and starting stats are very heroic (18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13). I plan on playing a human partially due to where they sit in the world.

I was hoping to get some help with feat selection and potential item choice. The magic item compendium is more or less restricted, an item might be approved if it feels on the same level as the DMG magic items.

My current thoughts on feats are:
Lvl 1: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Human: Augment Summoning
Flaw (Frail): Rapid Spell
Lvl 3:
Lvl 6:
Lvl 9:

Other feats I was looking into are Repeat Spell, DMM (Rapid, Repeat, or both), Cloudy Summoning, Improved Initiative, Summon Elemental, Extra Turning (for extra DMM spells).

1) Any feats definitively worth taking over others?
2) Any items notably worth starting with? I plan on having a Periapt of Wisdom +4 and possibly a Monk's Belt for defense.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

laughinggas

First Post
I noticed Thaumaturgist would potentially be more powerful to add on top of Malconvoker. Would the extend summoning ability of both classes stack? If so, would it be a 3x duration or 4x duration?

Is it possible to retrain the Augment Summoning feat after acquiring from Thaumaturgist?

Potential build being:
Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor2/Malconvoker3 or 5/Thaumaturgist 2/Malconvoker 3 or 1/Thaumaturgist 3/Malconvoker 3/Church Inquisitor 1

Thoughts?

gyor

Legend
I'd think a Malconvoker would be the sort of thing a Church Inquisitor would root out, seems an odd combo. What's the character back story?

laughinggas

First Post
Campaign backstory is Orcus has appeared with demon hordes to take over the world. The heroes defeated him but not a continent once divided into 3 parts by a magical wall to prevent war is gone and the tensions have risen as the kingdoms need to work out peace or war amongst one another.

Character would be from the human lands, I am thinking his parents were imprisoned at a young age due to corruption from a local governing body. Being essentially orphaned, he was taken in by a church and raised to be a cleric of the faith (cloistered cleric). As he progressed in his studies he was driven by a strong sense of law and order, and if only the law was followed and executed properly, his parents would have never been taken from him (Deity will either be a custom one to get desired domains or be a cleric of a cause serving a standard deity). While he was diligent in his work, he was of a frail constitution which had him rely on conjured creatures as much as possible due to his health. As he ascended in the ranks, he was doing a review of some of the records and uncovered some corruption within the church (not fully fleshed out). He ruthlessly ferreted out the culprits earning him praise and having the rank of Inquisitor bestowed upon him (Church Inquisitor). Part of his mission was then to travel to the parishes across the human lands to investigate and review their doings to help prevent the church's mission to help others. During this time, the arrival of demons from the direction of the wall happened causing devastation to the border towns. Upon acquiring a corpse of such a creature, he began to see the advantages such creatures have over others, he started to dabble in trying to summon them, first just fiendish versions of animals and then on to demons themselves. What better way to fight fire than with fire (Malconvoker)?

That is the rough idea so far. He would be lawful neutral, kind of a snobby jerk to those from the other kingdoms. He is practical and also believes there to be a balance to everything so when he offers services to others, he expects compensation.

Trickery Domain would probably be retrained into early in character creation (lvl 3?), playing along the idea of fire with fire, deceiving the deceivers.

Does that sound reasonable?

gyor

Legend
Would the church not view his Malcinvoker magic as corruption and others not see him as a hypocrite? Or course that could add to the RP, a Church Inquisitor with his own secret heresies, could be interesting, I like it.

Remove ads