Church of Bones, Prague

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Also interesting and in a similar vein are the Paris Catacombs and the Capuchin Catacombs. IMO, the Capucin Catacombs are creepier due to the way the bodies are arrayed and the state of preservation of some of them.

DM

MadMaxim

First Post
I was there on a school trip some 8-10 years ago. Believe me, it's both creepy and cool. I thought I'd be disgusted by seeing all those bones but strangely enough it seemed like it fit the church in some weird way. As others mentioned, it sort of reminds you of your own mortality. And it was cold as heck! Definitely worth seeing if you ever go to Prague.

Zander

Explorer
wolf70 said:
Also interesting and in a similar vein are the Paris Catacombs...
I've been there. Interesting but surprisingly not that creepy even though there are the bones of a couple of million people there IIRC (it was a long time ago).

Henry

Autoexreginated
They used the Cathedral of Bone as a setting in the D&D movie (for Profion's inner sanctum). It was one of the few times a permission has been given to film there.

What a waste of a chance. ;)

kenobi65

First Post
In the same European trip where I went to Prague and missed this Church of Bones, we stopped at a Benedictine abbey in Melk, Austria.

In the walls of the chapel, they had the bones of a couple of saints displayed behind glass.

1) Bad enough that they're displaying skeletons.

2) Worse still that the skeletons are wearing clothes and encrusted with gold and jewelry.

3) But, the very worst part is that the skeletons are set in rather jaunty poses. Basically, picture someone lying on their side, propped up on one elbow, head in their hand...then take off all their flesh:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/149905568/149910927MChuJR

Remove ads