Votes: 92 29.1%
  • Greyhawk City

Votes: 114 36.1%
  • Sigil

Votes: 110 34.8%

• Poll closed .

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Psion, I have to agree with you there. I just ran a game in Greyhawk, and I have to say, of the three cities I've used as core setting components (the other two being Sharn and Sigil), it's easily the blandest. Of course, this might just be because good info on it is so hard to find these days... nudge, nudge, wink, wink, sourcebook, sourcebook.

Demiurge out.

Henrix

Explorer
Oh, this is getting real tough. I would have preferred Lankhmar over the others, Fafhrd and the gray Mouser are dear old firends, but now there are three cities I have DMed - I love them all!

Seeker95

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I just ran a game in Greyhawk, [...] it's easily the blandest. Of course, this might just be because good info on it is so hard to find these days...
For me, that is the beauty of Greyhawk. I have not had to "unlearn" my players anything about the city since 1983, because the developers / designers / autocrats have not over-detailed sections of the city that I already detailed on my own. I don't have to segment player knowledge from PC knowledge regarding this city, its history, or the "when" of the campaign.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
"She sees you when your sneaking,
she knows when you reanimate.
She knows if you are Evil or Good,
break her law she'll eviserate!"

The Lady of Painful ripoff of Santa Claus meets the Mos Eisley cantina and her silly city need to go! :p

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Seeker95 said:
For me, that is the beauty of Greyhawk. I have not had to "unlearn" my players anything about the city since 1983, because the developers / designers / autocrats have not over-detailed sections of the city that I already detailed on my own. I don't have to segment player knowledge from PC knowledge regarding this city, its history, or the "when" of the campaign.

QFT.

Theocrat

First Post
Thread Moving

Hi all -
The bummer part of this is that the thread keeps moving and if it's not on the front page I don't end up seeing the vote, and it's such an important aspect of my "internet life."
I keep subscribing to the old thread hoping to get posted something for th new thread....hint hint..keep putting it on the front page!

As I posted previously, another awesome city, from the novels more than the d20 supplement, but which would fit perfectly for a d20 publishing city survivor, Thieves World.
But again, TW, Freeport and such are really just cheap knock-off's from Greyhawk. Greyhawk has cults galore in its underground area, it has as mentioned previously, an elite assassin on its board of directors, is home to the circle of eight, of whom everybody owes homage if they've cast Tensor's Floating Disk, Bigby's Crushing/other adjectives Hand, Mondakenian's Faithful Hound or so many other spells listed in the PHB, and ultimately, the city is what is known for the whole of the world.
Planescape may have Sigil at its centerpiece, Forgotten Realms has Waterdeep, Eberron has Sharn, and ad nauseum...even Freeport is just a "generic" city able to fit into any world setting easily, but Greyhawk City is the centerpiece for the whole of the world setting, called the World fo Greyhawk. No way can a city be boring when it's the centerpiece for 35 years and the focal point for an entire Wold Campaign. In no way can a city be boring when it's been re-captured by so many with the Living Greyhawk Journal's awesome maps, and the Dungeon Maps for the World of Greyhawk campaing setting.
But more importantly, Greyhawk City has copy-cat's/re-writes, with Troll Lords Yrrsburgh 350+ish page book with original artwork by Darlene and by E.G.Gygax himself. Now Greyhawk has some serious background information from which to take from, from which to modify from and from which a DM can use as they wish.
Well, here we go, Greyhawk City goes in for the Championship well healed, well coached, and certainly, WELL PLAYED.
Be Well. Be Well Played.
Theocrat Issak

occam

Adventurer
Save Sigil!

I've voted against Freeport every round so far, and have been continually frustrated by the enduring presence of that interloper in the august pantheon of D&D cities. But now I must vote for Greyhawk in an attempt to save the most wondrous city of the multiverse. Sigil or die!

Or... well, maybe not die... seems a little harsh... uh, Sigil or suffer mild, brief disappointment!

Remove ads