Civilizing the Barbarian

Gnome

First Post
This was inspired by the "Genericizing The Monk" thread.

For those who like barbarians mechanically, but don't think that they should all be uncivilized warriors from a distant land, how would you change the barbarian class to reflect this? Here are the changes that come to my mind:

New class name: Berzerker

* Skills: drop from 4 to 2/level. Remove listen, survival, ride, and handle animal, and add knowledge (local) and sense motive
* No trap sense ability
* Berzerkers are literate
* Bonus fighter feat at level 2
* Barbarians and berserkers are treated as the same class mechanically. One cannot take levels on both classes, favored class in one includes both variants, etc.

Any other suggestions along these lines?

Last edited:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
My hat of barbarians no know limit! :)

I like the idea of turning them into berserkers. What I'd do, first off, is de-munchkinize them by knocking them down to d10 HD. No upstart punk class should have a better HD than the fighter!

Second, I'm a fan of the tales of berserkers who had a totem animal and could transform into it. So I'd want an ability something along the lines of the bear warrior class from Complete Warrior. They start off with a rage ability and can later polymorph into the shape of their totem animal -- but only during a rage. If you've read the Belgariad, I'm thinking of someone like Barak. Only I'd have them remember their transformation afterwards...

I'd probably keep the nature skills and abilities, maybe even add wild empathy. I'd drop fast movement and probably DR to help pay for the new abilities.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Crothian said:
If you civilize them, I think you have to loose the rage.....
Uh uh! You haven't seen my wife when she gets angry. Berserker rage is the only word for it. Trust me on this one: it is perfectly possible to be civilized *and* a berserker. I'm halfway there myself. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To cilize rage it is simple enough to state thate Rage = Chi.

The standard barbaian externalises that energy manifesting as the savage bezerk rage
however it is possible for rage to be internalised and become a focus of energy, a silent rage which brings extreme clarity and focus allowing the character to achieve incredible feats. The extreme development of this is the monk but other levels are possible.

I had a homebrew class Totem Warrior that had the Rush ability. Rush was like Rage but could affect ANY two stats (according per the totem) eg a Eagle Totem Warrior would get a Rush to Wis and Dex (increase will, increase reflexes, better senses etc)

Gnome

First Post
I just mean coming from civilized lands, not that they are master diplomats. Berserkers learn to fight recklessly by releasing their anger as a fighting style, that's all.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I like the name "Berserker".

Re-working the mechanics:

• Remove trap sense and uncanny dodge
  • Rename "Rage" -- call it "Heroic Surge" -- and allow it to be invoked in a number of different ways:
    - Rage (per the Core rules, including Greater versions)
    - Whirling Frenzy (per UA, including Greater versions)
  • Allow Trap Sense as a Feat which requires 2 Rogue levels
  • Allow Uncanny Dodge as pair of Feats which require 4, then 8 Rogue levels
  • Create some shape-shifting PrCs which allow totem animal forms -- probably 4 level PrCs -- I'll work some up if I get a chance
  • Allow Berserkers to choose either "wild" or "civilized" class skill sets

-- N

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Berserks (Encyclopedia mythica):
In old-Norse sagas, they were warriors who dressed themselves in bear skins, to make use of the fear common people had for wild animals. They whipped themselves up to a sort of battle frenzy, biting their shields and howling like animals. They were ferocious fighters and seemingly insensitive to pain while this madness lasted; berserks made formidable enemies. In their rage they even attacked the boulders and trees of the forest; it was not uncommon that they killed their own people. The belief in berserks can be compared with the belief in werewolves; both are magical transformations of humans who assume the shape of an kindred animal.

It might be more appropriate to make them some sort of ki channeling civilized version of a rage.

Ferrix

Explorer
Cyberzombie said:
I like the idea of turning them into berserkers. What I'd do, first off, is de-munchkinize them by knocking them down to d10 HD. No upstart punk class should have a better HD than the fighter!

De-munchkinize them? Perhaps the guy who doesn't get to hide behind heavy-armor and a shield, from a much rougher environment, he might have a better HD than the fighter. The barbarian or berserker, however you name them, sucks up the blows by getting hit rather than by shedding them with a thick suit of plate around them.

Remove ads