Claims you've never actually heard spoken

Ryujin

Legend
I have sat in a church (as a guest of a friend I was visiting), and a parishoner and stood up and was ranting about how "this was a christian nation" in the early 1990s.

The United States is a bit of a dichotomy; nation that enshrines the separation of Church and State, in law, and yet in which no one who doesn't thank God could ever become President (at least not at the moment).

I've always wondered whether people who opine that death or violence should be the penalty for disagreement should be committed. It seems to happen a lot on the internet.

There would be no one left to take care of the patients.

Janx

Hero
I've always wondered whether people who opine that death or violence should be the penalty for disagreement should be committed. It seems to happen a lot on the internet.

it's certainly a crime to suggest it about the president of the united states. But it's the kind of extremist bullcrap we get here. I've seen recent articles that the US has had more right-wing extremist terrorism incidents than muslim ones.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have seen an anti-gun friend on FB post how there have been zero mass killings stopped by somebody with a gun. Somebody else found the link to an article with nine instances where a civillian or off duty cop with a personal weapon stopped or helped stop a mass killing.

On another board, I recently saw a guy make a claim that there were no mass killings being perpetrated by people using legally purchased weapons. I pointed out several that had*, and that the class of spree killers called "family annihilators"- persons (usually fathers) tend to use killing methods convenient to them, often their own legally purchased firearms.

Guns don't change people's violent tendencies, they make it easier to make violent tendencies into assaults, and translate more assaults into homicides.

* I just mentioned the Thurston High, Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech killings, but the UT Tower shootings, and Cleveland Elementary- the one that inspired the Boomtown Rats hit "I don't like Mondays" and the middle-of-the-day residential street ambush killings of Michael and Florence Phillips by Richard Brian Uffleman and his sons Rick & Jerry (featured on the ID series "Fear thy Neighbor") are just the first few that spring to mind in which the guns were legally purchased.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
it's certainly a crime to suggest it about the president of the united states. But it's the kind of extremist bullcrap we get here. I've seen recent articles that the US has had more right-wing extremist terrorism incidents than muslim ones.

The US has definitely experienced more SUCCESSFUL domestic right-wing terrorist operations than by Islamist extremists: McVeigh, the guy who flew his Cessna into an IRS building, the Roof killings, and all those church burnings, lynchings, etc. endured by black (and other minority) communities in the South.

Dioltach

Legend
On another board, I recently saw a guy make a claim that there were no mass killings being perpetrated by people using legally purchased weapons. I pointed out several that had*, and that the class of spree killers called "family annihilators"- persons (usually fathers) tend to use killing methods convenient to them, often their own legally purchased firearms.

Guns don't change people's violent tendencies, they make it easier to make violent tendencies into assaults, and translate more assaults into homicides.

* I just mentioned the Thurston High, Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech killings, but the UT Tower shootings, and Cleveland Elementary- the one that inspired the Boomtown Rats hit "I don't like Mondays" and the middle-of-the-day residential street ambush killings of Michael and Florence Phillips by Richard Brian Uffleman and his sons Rick & Jerry (featured on the ID series "Fear thy Neighbor") are just the first few that spring to mind in which the guns were legally purchased.

The 2011 Alphen shooting in the Netherlands is another.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There are tons of wacko conspiracy theories on the internet that I haven't had direct contact with, that's no difficult feat. There is just so much crazy out there - nobody can possibly exposed to all of it. It's the crazies and extremists you are exposed to that I find interesting.

Around the Midwest (and maybe other places) there is a group that goes preaching on college campus, Campus Ministries is their name. They'll tell you, with a straight face, that oral sex causes cancer. One of them, Brother Jed, used to tell us that accepting Jesus into his life, while eating at Burger King, instantly cured his crab infestation.

Sometimes people are just crackpots, unable to put cause and effect together. Sometimes they're just really startlingly ignorant. But sometimes, they're also really desperate. I know someone, who otherwise understands science, who believed the anti-vaccination camp for a while. She's got a child with autism and this was early in the theory, long before Jenny McCarthy threw her celebrity status behind it. She has intellectually come around but, sure enough, was reluctant to have her youngest child immunized and drew the process out longer than is recommended by pediatricians. Her daughter is, I believe, fully immunized for her age now, but I'd bet it's her lingering and desperate fear of what caused her older child's autism that was the obstacle and not her other rationalizations. I think that she and McCarthy (and many others) were so desperate to find a reason for their children's issues that they latched onto whatever threads of theories they could in the literature - and clung to them, in some degree, even when officially discredited.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The suggestion of removing any one from office via a bullet is a suggestion best kept to oneself. We have a safe and legal method of removing a person from office. It is not easy, but it does not involve murder, which is wrong. In my humble opinion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have seen an anti-gun friend on FB post how there have been zero mass killings stopped by somebody with a gun. Somebody else found the link to an article with nine instances where a civillian or off duty cop with a personal weapon stopped or helped stop a mass killing.

I think we need to be careful with wording there - I don't know of any armed civilians *preventing* a mass killing. There are some who have stopped a shooting spree once it has begun. The cases I know of there are several victims dead before the civilian could get involved.

I am not sure there's statistical evidence that having civilians stop shootings actually reduced the number of deaths. I think the typical dynamic is that the shooter does a lot of damage in the first few moments to minutes of an attack, and then is basically done anyway, as the targets have scattered and found cover. So, the armed civilian who saves the day may still be a bit of a myth.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
it is also possible the shooting sprees are occurring at places where they are betting an armed civilian would not be, such as at a church or theater of a major city.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
it is also possible the shooting sprees are occurring at places where they are betting an armed civilian would not be, such as at a church or theater of a major city.

Almost all of them are. And honestly, there are no real easy answers to that. There will always be soft targets unless we make it an affirmative duty for all adults to go around armed.

And doing THAT is just asking for the homicide rate to jump, as the effort and time it takes to kill a human drops to 3 seconds and 3lbs of pressure on a trigger, everywhere in the USA.

Remove ads