• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clarification - Sorcerer/Archmage and High Arcana

Ranger5

First Post
Just need to clarify something.

When a sorcerer takes levels in archmage and picks his high arcana abilities, the "Spell Slot" lost to gain the ability is from Spells Known not Spells/day correct?

IcyCool

First Post
SRD said:
High Arcana: An archmage gains the opportunity to select a special ability from among those described below by permanently eliminating one existing spell slot (she cannot eliminate a spell slot of higher level than the highest-level spell she can cast). Each special ability has a minimum required spell slot level, as specified in its description.

It eliminates a spell-slot, not a spell. You prepare spells into spell slots or spontaneously cast from your spell slots. Spells known and your spellbook are different than spell-slots.

So to answer your question, you eliminate one of your "spells per day" a.k.a. spell slot. Not one of your spells known.

Ranger5

First Post
IcyCool said:
It eliminates a spell-slot, not a spell. You prepare spells into spell slots or spontaneously cast from your spell slots. Spells known and your spellbook are different than spell-slots.

So to answer your question, you eliminate one of your "spells per day" a.k.a. spell slot. Not one of your spells known.

Wow. Well I was told differently and thought it made some sense since Sorcerers get so many spells per day that losing one would not be that big a deal. But I also knew about the spells known not being your spell slots. So that is where the confusion came from. Thanks again.

Thanee

First Post
The big cost for the sorcerer lies in the prerequisites to enter the class, which are more limiting for them. ;)

Bye
Thanee

IcyCool

First Post
Ranger5 said:
Wow. Well I was told differently and thought it made some sense since Sorcerers get so many spells per day that losing one would not be that big a deal. But I also knew about the spells known not being your spell slots. So that is where the confusion came from. Thanks again.

It's actually an interesting prestige class for both wizards and sorcerers. Sorcerers have a more difficult time getting into the prestige class (need to be 14th level for 7th level spells, need 5th level spells from at least 5 different schools, and need to spend 3 of their general feats to meet the feat prereq), but get to add more blasting power and flexibility when they do. Wizards have an easier time meeting the prereqs (13th level for 7th level spells, they get two bonus feats by that time, and having 5th level spells from at least 5 schools is pretty easy), and also get the added benefit of more blasting power, and even more flexibility.

Ranger5

First Post
Thanee said:
The big cost for the sorcerer lies in the prerequisites to enter the class, which are more limiting for them. ;)

Bye
Thanee

This is true. Trying to get the knowledge of 5th-level or higher spells from at least five schools is the challenging part. But to me it is worth it.

I am actually making a 22nd level character for a one shot epic game. So far I think what I want to do is a human sorcerer 13, argent savant 5, archmage 4. And the reason I only took 4 levels of archmage is because the only high arcana that would be useful for my guy are Arcane Fire, Spell Power, Mastery of Shaping, and Mastery of Elements.

Anyway thanks again for all the quick responses.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Arcane Fire as a Sorcerer? ;)

Take Orb of Force than you have all the Arcane Fire you'll ever need... and it can even hit ethereal/incorporeal targets.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads