• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Acts: Seeker and Infinite Damage

Mand

First Post
Am I reading this right?

"Any creature that enters an arrow of misfortune's square takes damage equal to your Wisdom modifier and you slide the creature 1 square."

If you put two of these next to each other (not too difficult to do), and some poor sap either moves into it willingly or is forced there, you then pingpong them back and forth between the two arrows until they die, yes? It doesn't even have an action listed...

Both the 15 and 29 dailies presented in the article give two or more squares of arrows and would be sufficient to do this. But I thought Blade Cascade illustrated why infinite damage at level 15 was a bad thing...

Please tell me I'm missing something.

Thatwackyned

First Post
Forced Movement, in this case sliding, does not count as "entering" for the purpose of the ability.

Needs to have moved into the square on his own.

renau1g

First Post
I believe you are incorrect Thatwackyned, sliding is "entering" a square, unless you have a rules interpretation quote. I'd grant them a save personally as I would deem it hindering terrain, but yeah it should work and by RAW it is essentially infinite damage, especially because it has no action listed

renau1g

First Post
Oh just one thing to note that this isn't the compiled version so I would wait until the end of the month to see if they correct it. I've seen lots of excitement on the Optimization board about this so I'm sure they've also seen it and will adjust in the final version.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
I'd grant them a save personally as I would deem it hindering terrain, but yeah it should work and by RAW it is essentially infinite damage, especially because it has no action listed

They'd have to fail an infinite numbers of saves, then, to get that infinite damage. After all, you're talking about two bits of hindering terrain, so they get a save each time they enter one of them while leaving the other. Meaning that typically you get 1-4 instances of damage before they fall prone. Still pretty nice, but definite finite amounts of damage.

Mand

First Post
Here's what may be a related question - do creatures take damage for being forcemoved into a Wall of Fire? Do they get a save?

If yes and no, then the Seeker power would be infinite damage.

Here's what may be a related question - do creatures take damage for being forcemoved into a Wall of Fire? Do they get a save?

If yes and no, then the Seeker power would be infinite damage.

Yes, an No ;)

Effects of powers are not terrain and don't grant saves. Of course some powers DO create terrain, but they have to actually say they do. Yes, there are a few spells like the one that creates a pit where thinking about it too much will melt your brain...

I think this is a legitimate infinite damage situation, of course like any such it is obvious how to fix it. Just limit the damage to once per turn.

renau1g

First Post
They'd have to fail an infinite numbers of saves, then, to get that infinite damage. After all, you're talking about two bits of hindering terrain, so they get a save each time they enter one of them while leaving the other. Meaning that typically you get 1-4 instances of damage before they fall prone. Still pretty nice, but definite finite amounts of damage.

Agreed in my home game I wouldn't let such stuff happen, but in LFR the DM is a bit more constrained and can't impose that these effects are hindering terrain as they aren't in the power listed as that, therefore it is infinite by RAW.

eamon

Explorer
Agreed in my home game I wouldn't let such stuff happen, but in LFR the DM is a bit more constrained and can't impose that these effects are hindering terrain as they aren't in the power listed as that, therefore it is infinite by RAW.
Even in LFR, the DM is permitted to use his brain. This wouldn't fly :), I'm sure. It'll be fixed anyhow...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads