Class Acts: Wizards

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Shroomy said:
Unfortunately, according to the ToC, this is it for issue 364.

Oh well. I found it more useful than pretty much anything Paizo did in Class Acts, except a couple of feats for the soulknife.

Cheers!

VictorC

Explorer
MerricB said:
Oh well. I found it more useful than pretty much anything Paizo did in Class Acts, except a couple of feats for the soulknife.

Cheers!

:bmelee: Really, cause I found this article more useful than any thing they ever did with the magazine. Unless you consider cramming Grayhawk down your throat useful. Then it was the most useful thing ever.

Holy Bovine

First Post
VictorC said:
:bmelee: Really, cause I found this article more useful than any thing they ever did with the magazine. Unless you consider cramming Grayhawk down your throat useful. Then it was the most useful thing ever.

:\ While good I don't think a 2 page article with 10 spells in it can be considered better than anything Paizo did with Dragon. They may not be going 4E but they put out a heckuva good magazine.

Holy Bovine said:
:\ While good I don't think a 2 page article with 10 spells in it can be considered better than anything Paizo did with Dragon. They may not be going 4E but they put out a heckuva good magazine.

I have to agree. I thought Paizo's stewardship of the magazines marked some of the highest quality Dragon and Dungeon had ever enjoyed.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
....sometimes I do wonder what magazine these folks were reading...

I mean, free is good, but two pages of spells? Wake me when you get to the meat. ;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
True, and the other stuff up has been pretty good. It's been, what, about 15 pages of content? Ad-free? Not too shabby.

I do think, for the milage, that this is the weakest of the articles for this "issue" of Dragon, but then I get the impression that it wasn't meant to be as impressive as, say, the Warforged or the Cult of Orcus articles.

Kamikaze Midget said:
I do think, for the milage, that this is the weakest of the articles for this "issue" of Dragon, but then I get the impression that it wasn't meant to be as impressive as, say, the Warforged or the Cult of Orcus articles.

I'm willing to bet, though, that while it might not have been as impressive to read, it'll see use in more games than, say, the Yeenoghu article or my Orcus cult. :)

Hell, it's got me wanting to play an illusionist even more than I already did.

Khairn

First Post
Of the 9 Illusion spells, 6 deal direct damage along with various combat effects while the other 3 provide various combat modifiers without dealing damage.

Damage
Damage & Slowed
Damage, Prone, Immobilized
Damage & Extra movement cost through difficult terrain
Immobilized & Penalty to Hit
Damage & Combat Advantage
Ally for Flanking, Bonus AC & Bonus Perception
Damage & Enemy acts as Ally for Flanking
Wall Impedes movement

I read on some other posts that a couple of these powers are significantly better than what was available in the PHB, but as I don't have the books I can't really compare them. Do you agree with that perception, or not? How does this assortment of powers match up against other Crowd Control classes?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm willing to bet, though, that while it might not have been as impressive to read, it'll see use in more games than, say, the Yeenoghu article or my Orcus cult.

Hell, it's got me wanting to play an illusionist even more than I already did.

I dunno, I've already got Yeenoghu's realm slated for my game table, and that's mostly because I need to be all contrary and 4e wants me to love Orcus, or I'd have him up. :)

One of the minor problems with the article, for me, is that it's just heroic stuff. I've been excited to play an illusionist for a while now, but I guess it just seems that as an "add on" for the wizard, some of the coolness is lost. But maybe the bard will be more my speed when it comes out, and this is just a little appetite-whetter.

Remove ads