Class Acts: Wizards

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mouseferatu said:
I have to agree. I thought Paizo's stewardship of the magazines marked some of the highest quality Dragon and Dungeon had ever enjoyed.

Definitely agree with Dungeon magazine.

Dragon magazine? Well, I've always had problems with it. I do think that there were some good articles during the Paizo run, and there were some exceptional articles as well.

However, I can't think of a "Class Acts" column in print-Dragon that I liked as much as this two-page power addition. For the most part, "Class Acts" seemed to be just filler or something for weird variant campaigns.

So far, issue #364 of Dragon has given us 35 pages of content.

Class Acts - 2 pages
Playing Warforged - 9 pages
Demononicon - Yeenoghu - 12 pages
Ashen Covenant - 12 pages

We still have the following articles to come:

Features
Vor Kragal: Lost City of Bael Turath
By Nicolas Logue
This long-dead relic of the ancient tiefling empire is rife with adventure for those willing to brave its dark streets.

The Wolves of Maldeen
By Nicolas Logue
Long ago, the legendary Maldeen stood up to champion those who could not fight for themselves. Now his order continues this noble cause.

Creature Incarnations: Kobolds
By Mike Mearls
Sure, the Monster Manual is full of the little buggers, but who couldn't use some more kobolds? Introducing the wild mage, vermin handler, and many more varieties.

Roll vs. Role: Goblins
By Bruce Cordell and Chris Sims
Meet the Bile Spider tribe, an alchemically inclined group of goblins willing to do anything for a necessary reagent.

Columns
Campaign Classics: The Hazards of Dark Sun
By Gary Astleford
The deadly hazards of Athas are countless … but these three will get you started.

Expeditionary Dispatches: Forest of Flesh
By Keith Baker
Enter the world of Mordain the Fleshweaver, and discover the horrors of his awful domain.

Design & Development: The Dungeon Master's Guide
By James Wyatt
The author of the DMG takes us on a behind-the-scenes tour of the process that went into creating the book.

Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard
By Shelly Mazzanoble
Shelly's run her first game. Was her planned bribery of food and drinks necessary?

RPGA Report
By Chris Tulach
This month, Chris gives more insider info on the state of the RPGA.

###

Honestly, I'm very happy with the first 4e issue of e-Dragon so far!

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mouseferatu said:
I'm willing to bet, though, that while it might not have been as impressive to read, it'll see use in more games than, say, the Yeenoghu article or my Orcus cult. :)

Very definitely agree.

I'd also like to add that the "Class Acts" of 4e have one definite advantage over the "Class Acts" of 3e: they describe significant powers.

Too often, "Class Acts" would describe a few feats - which you wouldn't take because you didn't have the spare slots, and were minor in effect in any case - or something that actually had no relevance to playing your character.

With the 4e power structure, new powers are interesting... and due to the retraining rules, they can enter play very quickly after being introduced.

I still want to see a dedicated 4e illusionist, rather than a "wizard with illusion powers" (I hate 2e for what it did to the illusionist).

Cheers!

MerricB said:
Honestly, I'm very happy with the first 4e issue of e-Dragon so far!

Oh, so am I. (My own participation aside.) I think the articles have been fantastic, overall. :)

MerricB said:
I still want to see a dedicated 4e illusionist, rather than a "wizard with illusion powers" (I hate 2e for what it did to the illusionist).

*coughNecromancer'sAPGcough* ;)

But seriously, I'm biting my nails waiting for WotC's version, myself.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mouseferatu said:
*coughNecromancer'sAPGcough* ;)

*reaches down Mouse's throat, and removes sundry consonants and vowels...*

;)

Strange. Why is it now, at the very beginning of 4e's run, that I'm interested in seeing what 3rd party producers will do with the system? I wasn't all that interested during the latter part of 3e's run!

Cheers!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Mouseferatu said:
*coughNecromancer'sAPGcough*

Oh, Ari, whisper that sweet nothing into my ears again! You know just what to say...

....you know I'd follow you and Clark and that whole motley crew straight into the Far Realm and back again, baby. Nobody else knows the way I like it quite like you guys do...

*cough*

I'm sorry, I think I need to go....do...uhm...manly things...and...play sport.

Prolly best if I don't tell the girl about this...

(ahem)

I liked the article. Well done and interesting.

MerricB said:
*reaches down Mouse's throat, and removes sundry consonants and vowels...*

;)

Strange. Why is it now, at the very beginning of 4e's run, that I'm interested in seeing what 3rd party producers will do with the system? I wasn't all that interested during the latter part of 3e's run!

Cheers!
It's the beginning. ;) Maybe in 5-8 years, you're tired of broken 3rd party stuff.

Or you're even more in love then ever, because broken is a thing of the past? ;)

Well, maybe something in between...

WhatGravitas

Explorer
MerricB said:
Probably because during the latter part of 3E, the good publishers stopped doing much for 3E and pursued their own RPG lines, often with OGL games (True20, Conan, Spycraft to an extent, M&M, even Malhavoc with AE).

Which, incidentally, may be the reason why GSL - it ties them to D&D.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads