• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class Analysis: Fighter and Bard

pemerton

Legend
Boromir, Human Fighter-Champion. No Feats. Level 15
Fighting Styles - Great Weapon & Defense

Str 20, Con 20.
Hit Points: 10 + (6*14) + (15*5) = 169 (+ 20 points from 2nd wind)
AC: 19 (Plate + Defense)

Attack: +11 Greatsword 2d6+5 (Crit 18-20) Mean damage vs AC 13 = 12

3 Attacks per round kill 1.5 Orcs

Orcs
HP: 15
AC: 13
Attack +5 for 9 damage (Crit 20) Mean Damage vs AC 19 = 3.45

The orcs need 54 attacks to bring down Boromir.
18 orcs. The fighter has initiative, and the orcs aren't going to "conga line".

Round 1: 4 attack the fighter, who has his back against a tree. With action surge, the fighter cuts down 3. The other 16 orcs hurl javelins. The fighter takes 3*3.45 + 14*2.3 = around 42 hp of damage.

Round 2: The fighter, with 3 attacks, kills the 4th adjacent orc. Assuming that he maintains his defensive position, 4 orcs then close, dealing 4*3.45 = around 13 hp of damage. The other 10 orcs throw javelin again, for 10*2.3 = 23 hp of damage.

At this point, the fighter can use second wind and has around 110 hp left.

Round 3: The fighter, with 3 attacks, kills (let's say) 2 orcs. Two orcs close, so the fighter takes another 14 hp of damage. The other 8 orcs throw javelins, for 8*2.3 = 18 hp of damage. The fighter has around 80 hp left.

Round 4: The fighter kills an orc. One orc closes, and from 4 attacks the fighter takes 13 hp damage. The other 7 orcs throw javelines, for 7*2.3 = 16 hp of damage. The fighter has around 50 hp left.

At this point, I think the orcs are going to win, even if they're out of javelins. Even if two orcs die per round, the orcs can keep up 3 more rounds of 4 attacks, plus another round of 3 attacks, then 1 attack, for 16 attacks altogether.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Going to chime in here: 24 orcs absolutely does = 24 melee attacks per round, because opportunity attacks are Reactions, and you only get 1 per round. Capricia has already mentioned this, but it honestly can't be emphasised enough.

It makes putting your back up against a tree exactly the same as standing in an open field and thereby reduces the exercise to a pure numbers game. Once the Fighter has made his single swipe at a passing creature, any number of them can do a conga right line past him in complete safety. I hate it.

Anyway, let's do this. With 6 Ability Score Increases under his belt our Fighter can have stats of 20/20/18/13/11/9, so +6 Initiative (4 Dex/2 Remarkable Athlete) with 20 Str and 20 Con, making him statistically likely to win initiative against 18 of the Orcs. We'll have them start in move + attack range of each other, because if you game out a scenario where the two sides begin out of range it becomes a weird cold war of shufflestep spacing and readied actions. If there's a simple way I'm missing for the Fighter to gain advantage with a spaced start, though, I'm happy to look at this again in light of it.

Round 1:
  • The 6 orcs who won initiative rush in and surround the Fighter, dealing 3.65 damage each and bringing him down to 167 HP.
  • The Fighter uses Action Surge and makes 6 attacks, felling 3 of the orcs. 21 orcs remain.
  • The 18 orcs who lost initiative conga line past. The Fighter wounds one of them with an OA. After their attacks he's on 101 HP.
Round 2:
  • 3 orcs, 11 damage, 90 HP.
  • The Fighter makes 3 attacks, killing 1 of the 3 orcs in contact with him and injuring another. 20 orcs remain.
  • 18 orcs conga past, dealing 58 damage and leaving the Fighter on 24 HP. The Fighter holds his OA to finish off the orc he hit last time, killing it. 19 orcs remain.
Round 3:
  • 2 orcs, 7 damage, 17 HP.
  • The Fighter kills the 2 who just hit him.
  • 17 orcs conga past, dealing 62 damage and taking the Fighter to -45. He injures one before he goes down.

The Fighter killed 7 orcs, and 17 remain.

Bonus Round 4:
  • A Wizard who's been watching the whole time (invisibly) casts Fire Storm, incinerating all 17 of the remaining orcs at a single stroke, whether they make their saves (20% chance) or not. He could have done this at the beginning of the encounter, of course, but he wanted to give the Fighter a chance to strut his stuff.
  • He then uses his Transmuter's Stone to cast Raise Dead on the Fighter without expending a spell slot.
  • He then pats the Fighter on the head and says "Maybe next time."

I know you're responding to someone here, but you could make a similarly one-sided simulation of a wizard trying to solo a dragon. The fighter can have it chopped in half before the wizard gets through its auto-saves. (Yes, if the wizard is smart he'll use forcecage or something, but by the same token in your simulation it looks like the fighter would have won easily had he taken heavy armor mastery and great weapon master instead of weirdly boosting dex.)

Point being, the game isn't really balanced around either of these eventualities.

Re: Non-spellcaster vs. Wall of Force

It comes down to initiative. Wall of Force has a material component. Which means most DMs should let you attempt to wrest the Wizard's focus out of his possession with a Strength (Athletics) check vs. the Wizard's STR (Athletics) or DEX (Acrobatics), using the model prescribed in Contests in Combat, p. 195. Fat chance of the Wizard coming out on top there. Or a Rogue (Thief) can just use a Sleight of Hand with his Cunning Action. Or if the Wizard had his focus in hand from the start of battle, a Battle Master can just use Disarming Strike. A Paladin can use Command to make the Wizard drop his focus with decent success (most Wizards don't boost WIS, so even with save proficiency there a DC 17 Command has a decent rate of success). And so forth.

Jack the Lad

Explorer
I know you're responding to someone here, but you could make a similarly one-sided simulation of a wizard trying to solo a dragon. The fighter can have it chopped in half before the wizard gets through its auto-saves. (Yes, if the wizard is smart he'll use forcecage or something, but by the same token in your simulation it looks like the fighter would have won easily had he taken heavy armor mastery and great weapon master instead of weirdly boosting dex.)

Point being, the game isn't really balanced around either of these eventualities.

You're quite right that it's not, but that's why it's so crazy that the Wizard can handle it so easily.

I'll do math for an optimal Fighter (feats etc) tomorrow if I have time.

If you want to present a Fighter vs Dragon fight, I'd be happy to do the Wizard vs Dragon side - but I think you'll find that the Fighter can't take one on solo at all.

Re: Non-spellcaster vs. Wall of Force

It comes down to initiative. Wall of Force has a material component. Which means most DMs should let you attempt to wrest the Wizard's focus out of his possession with a Strength (Athletics) check vs. the Wizard's STR (Athletics) or DEX (Acrobatics), using the model prescribed in Contests in Combat, p. 195. Fat chance of the Wizard coming out on top there. Or a Rogue (Thief) can just use a Sleight of Hand with his Cunning Action. Or if the Wizard had his focus in hand from the start of battle, a Battle Master can just use Disarming Strike. A Paladin can use Command to make the Wizard drop his focus with decent success (most Wizards don't boost WIS, so even with save proficiency there a DC 17 Command has a decent rate of success). And so forth.

This relies on Mother May I/DM intervention. Can I wrest the Fighter's weapon away with Bigby's Hand/Evard's Black Tentacles/Telekinesis?

Also, an arcane focus is 10gp. You can very easily have 10+ crystals on necklaces, bracelets, anklets, hairpieces, rings etc. Or just a staff and a component pouch.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
I didn't play 4E (stopped at 3.5E) but it is awesome that a bunch of Orcs can now kill a higher level character. I hated that with AC boosts, etc all characters seemed to become "above" lower level creatures even en masse. I think it's great that there are some balance brought to the game in this regard.

I would love to see some other of Jack's class comparisons. Are there any else done as of now? I haven't gotten to playing again yet (need a group again) but I liked see some real issues that can come up.

So far it just seems that there need to be some feat "chains" or feats with higher level requirements focused to help the fighter at higher levels? I know feat chains aren't popular but isn't something like Tome of Blood abilities only usable 1/day or per short rest a somewhat simple solution to help a purely martial character?

And it definitely seems there's plenty of higher CR monsters where a fighter will shine and a wizard will at least stumble? A Legendary monster with counterspell, etc? Several of those "insane" spells are only 1/day now which helps mitigate caster power. Take out a few of those nearly broken spells, etc and things seem to calm down a bit to me?

Andor

First Post
I'm glad that we at least agree on that! Though perhaps not on how much feats and gear improve the situation (I'll try to math it out tomorrow).

I'd like to draw your attention to the bit I included on what a Wizard of the same level does in the same situation, though (immediately killing all the orcs with one spell even if they make their saves).

I'd also be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Fighter Design Goals article I quoted, which I feel is extremely important and relevant to the conversation at hand and the Fighter's role in the game in general.

It completely contradicts your view that it's only right and proper for the Wizard to be significantly more powerful than the Fighter, and that Fighter should take levels of caster class if they want to compete:

That's not my view at all, and if I gave that impression I miscommunicated. My view is that if something is magic it should admit that it is magic. A flying barbarian is magic and clearly labeled as such. Someone jumping 200 miles like the Hulk is magic whether they know it or not. Beowulf smimming an ice-filled fjord wearing chain mail and clenching a sword in his teeth is pretty much impossible but we might let it slide, swimming and fighting underwater for an hour on a single held breath? Magic.

Now to add something else which is probably going to hurt a lot of brains, there is no such thing an a magicless mundane person in D&D. At all. Ever. Every single person in every D&D world is a meat puppet inhabited by a supernatural spirit called a soul. More than one actually, according to the Speak with dead spell. The soul can be removed from the body and trapped in a jar, sent across the astral plane trailing a silver cord, or visited in it's afterlife. It is as real and important as anything in the world, and it is magic. Supernatural.

So, I don't actually have a problem leveling up into Beowulf and Herakles, because everyone was magic to begin with.

However, there is a significant portion of the population of D&D players who don't see that, or more importantly would rather play with Conan and Fafhrd than Kenshin Himura and Thor. And for them to be served, the high level fighter shouldn't do anything that would make you throw down your popcorn and walk out of an action movie. If they had made 5e such that a "fighter" was fighting at the level of an Exalted character WotC would have completely failed in their goal of bringing back and old school feel, or reuniting the split player base.

A high level Fighter without any magic might have chosen to be that way because their player read the Fighter Design Goals article and thought it sounded awesome:

And most importantly..

...that's the Fighter class I want to play.

Do you? Because here's the deal, even if we give the Fighter the ability to deal a no-save deathblow once a round, throw boulders for 10d6 in line-of-sight and to jump 7 leagues at a leap, he's still not in the Wizards, or Bards or Clerics league. He can't speak with the dead. He can't summon an angel. He can't use forcecage or reverse gravity. He can't heal a sick friend or visit his wife in her dreams. No matter how over the top he is, the Hulk is still a punk compared to Dr Strange. Hulk could crush him to a pulp, just like how a D&D fighter can drop a mage in a single round if he starts close and wins initiative, but he's still limited to what muscle and matter can achieve. The higher realms belong to the mage.

And that's exactly what you're both asking for and complaining about.

To be equal in all venues and for all pillars of the game either the fighter is magic and no different from the wizard or the wizard is limited to blowing stuff up and no different from the fighter. If you want both to exist and to be different then there must be differences and those differences must be meaningfull. The ability to fly, to teleport, conjure a wall are different in kind from the ability to smash stuff. They enable different approaches to problem solving, or they aren't really different at all. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

The fighter, with feats and gear really is a badass. As you yourself have pointed out numerous times a Mage who tries to out DPS a fighter is an idiot. Fireballs are not what win boss fights. When it comes to solving problems by killing them the fighter wins. But there are other solutions and they belong to the mage, or the skill system which everyone partakes of equally.

I don't have a problem with that, because when I look at 5e I see a system that will allow me and my friends to have fun playing a game we all love, and that's what matters to us.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'll write the wizard one for you. Round 1: Forcecage. Done. ;)

My point was that the classes aren't balanced around solo combat. The fighter gains much more damage and survivability from the presence of his party than does the wizard. That's why you cast jump (or Haste or Magic Weapon or whatever) on the fighter, not on the wizard. Not because he sucks and you feel bad for him, but because he's such a badass he almost matches a wizard's destructive capacity WITHOUT magical assistance, and WITH it he's a juggernaut.

That said, I will readily grant that a solo wizard is more capable the a solo champion, who can be bested by such devious challenges as A Brick Wall and A Really Deep Hole. The design intent, I believe, is that his companions help him bypass all sorts of obstacles, but he gets to feel like a knight in shining armor when it's time to slay the dragon.

Cybit

First Post
You seem to be misunderstanding me; I'm talking about casting Wall of Force over and around the Monk, trapping them under the dome. Not casting it as a wall to keep one away. This has been possible at least since the February playtest packet..

Note that the spells used were not from the Feb playtest packet; but a later & separate update. The spells in the Feb playtest packet were tagged as "Not complete / in Draft". That said, I'll use the PHB versions moving forward through this post.

I've seen the CR16 Adult Blue Dragon, the CR17 Adult Red Dragon, the CR24 Ancient Red Dragon and the CR30 Tarrasque. I don't know why you wouldn't expect to be level 17+ when you're fighting those kinds of monsters..?

We weren't using a MM or an equivalent, we were going through generated adventures and modules. Also, note that CR is a little different than it used to be. CR is the rough level you should be (+- some amount) to deal with a monster. So, for that CR 16 Adult Blue Dragon, from my understanding, it is a fairly easy encounter for a 16th level party. The reason being is I think the XP value determines the encounter difficulty. So a level 16 party facing a CR 16 Adult Blue Dragon by itself should wreck the dragon. But based on XP, I believe there would be quite a few more monsters along the way.

Magic Jar allowed you to permanently possess a creature's body with an opposed casting stat vs Charisma check in the playtest, gaining all its abilities but keeping your class features and spellcasting. It gave you a 93% chance of success against the Tarrasque. This is something that was dealt with easily enough that you don't feel it's worth mentioning it specifically?

Two caveats

1) Casting time: 1 minute. Try getting that off in combat.
2) Has a saving throw. Legendary = NOPE

Sequester: Willing Creature required.

Reverse Gravity: Creatures had flight capabilities. Also, the high radius makes it extremely dangerous to use in combat with friendlies; this one really needs the wizard to win initiative over baddies.

Contagion: Has a save, and for what they were fighting, Con saves weren't going to do squat. :p. While really useful against enemy casters - creatures that are immune to natural disease (undead, paladins, etc) also are flat out immune to the spell.

Wall of Force: Much lower range in our test. Also, wasn't big enough to dome some of the targets. :D It IS a super nasty way to deal with a couple of martial folks; but I get to that expectation later on...

Based on your posts, I'm afraid I can't help thinking that your 'nearly 600 hours' of play experience isn't serving you well here.

Part of it is that I think the amount of multiple creature fights is higher in this edition, and we're used to a fewer high level monsters for high level encounters from 3E. Bounded accuracy should change the expectation for what kind of fights you run into in the mid to high levels, and a wizard's lockdown abilities can be more effective with more monsters, up to a certain point, where the efficiency drops down dramatically because they just can't target everyone. Look at the later encounters in Hoard of the Dragon Queen; you will see that a lot of the "boss" encounters tend to be a higher level monster (than the party) along with 10+ subordinates coming from multiple directions. Heck, in one encounter, I think there are 6 to 8 equal level casters (in terms of casting spells, not for HP and everything) rolling with the leader. That's a typical "boss" type of fight.

Also, it could be that the encounter design was just done well. <shrug>

Jack the Lad

Explorer
your view that it's only right and proper for the Wizard to be significantly more powerful than the Fighter, and that Fighter should take levels of caster class if they want to compete
That's not my view at all, and if I gave that impression I miscommunicated.

You've said multiple times that Wizards are far more powerful than Fighters, including in this very same post.

You've also said multiple times that if that's a problem for the Fighter they should take levels in another class.

Are you seriously denying this?

I don't actually have a problem leveling up into Beowulf and Herakles, because everyone was magic to begin with. However, there is a significant portion of the population of D&D players who don't see that, or more importantly would rather play with Conan and Fafhrd than Kenshin Himura and Thor. And for them to be served, the high level fighter shouldn't do anything that would make you throw down your popcorn and walk out of an action movie. If they had made 5e such that a "fighter" was fighting at the level of an Exalted character WotC would have completely failed in their goal of bringing back and old school feel, or reuniting the split player base.

That's cool, and that's why we have four tiers of play outlined on page 15.

Unfortunately, at the moment, Fighters can't level up into Beowulf and Herakles. And that's the problem. When Wizards are moving into Tier 4, when the PHB tells us 'characters achieve the pinnacle of their class features, becoming heroic (or villainous) archetypes in their own right. The fate of the world or even the fundamental order of the multiverse might hang in the balance during their adventures' Fighters are doing the same things they've always done, but with small numerical bonuses.

Last edited:

Remove ads