• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class based on item creation...what have you tried?

ProtoClone

First Post
So recently my old DM and I have been trying to figure out a class, much akin to the Tinker class in WoWrpg, and it doesn't seem to be coming along. We have several different theories and samples but they all seem to be lacking. I know the WoWrpg Tinker class is probably the best there is going to be but honestly I am not happy with it.

What I am wondering is what have others tried and how did it work?
What class did you base it off of?
Did you house rule it to make item creation faster and how?
What would you do for a Klondike bar?

ProtoClone

First Post
justinsluder said:
Have you looked at the Artificer class from the Eberron Campaign Setting?
Yes we have and honestly, for myself, don't find the class to be interesting enough. Although it is an item creation class of sorts, IMHO it is just a spell hacker.

I guess I am under the impression that such a class like the Tinker, is better off as an NPC. Or the best that can be is an Artificer. The Tinker is a solid class and does exactly what I am looking for. My major problem is, without multiclassing, what will it do between inventions?

So is it possible to make a better class?

arscott

First Post
how does the WoWRPG tinker work? I only have the old WC3 based book, and from what I hear, the tinker was heavily revised.

ProtoClone

First Post
arscott said:
how does the WoWRPG tinker work? I only have the old WC3 based book, and from what I hear, the tinker was heavily revised.

W/O the book infront of me I really can't explain detailed enough. But I can say that it did get a really big overhaul that has actually improved it.
The formula for creation of devices is better for the class. But I get this feeling that it could be a whole lot better.

szilard

First Post
I created a Tinker class of my own (I'm not familiar with the WoW one). I based it loosely on the Bard. I altered their spell list, removed Bardic music and replaced it with bonus Item Creation feats, and gave them the ability to cannibalize magic items for XP that that they can then use to create other magic items. I also game them some abilities to improvise tools and create temporary magical items (requiring the expenditure of spell energy). Those were the big changes.

-Stuart

Remove ads