• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Building Guide?

AslanC

Explorer
I was wondering if there was a guide on how to build a class and specifically their XP tables for AD&D 2nd Edition (or ever 1st)?

Cheers!

Dorian_Grey

First Post
I just use Player's Option: Skills & Power and use the class XP table for the class I draw the most from. So if it is a fighter heavy class, even if it has spell casting, I'll use fighter experience and saves tables.

Igwilly

First Post
I believe the Player’s Option series has some thoughts about that. According to Dorian_Grey, his classes used these books as a basis.

I have some classes in mind to create too. Warming up my design skills. Hope they end out good :D

outlander78

First Post
The 2E DMG had a guide. It wasn't exact though - if you used it to create the 'core' classes, they ended up costing more XP/level. This means that any class built using those guidelines would be at a disadvantage to a 'core' class.

Citan Uzuki

Explorer
The 2E DMG had a guide. It wasn't exact though - if you used it to create the 'core' classes, they ended up costing more XP/level. This means that any class built using those guidelines would be at a disadvantage to a 'core' class.

The DMG is the best way to get a good feel on creating a new class. You can use its information as a guideline and adjust it how you need to, in my opinion. I've developed classes based on Final Fantasy jobs using this method, but I did later adjust the experience values to more closely fit (albeit slightly higher than, normally) the core classes.

Hope this helps out!

Remove ads