• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Compendium: Gone?

zoroaster100

First Post
Disappointing news. I was looking to the Class Compendium book and the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium. I have no interest in the shadow-related books. The only thing left on the schedule that I'm potentially interested in is the Threats of Nentir Vale monster book, and I usually tend to buy every book.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Looking at that graph I see that the beginning of 4e had way more products than the beginning of any other edition. Yes 3.5 did have higher years, but 4e came out of the gate at a sprint. Maybe they've decided they need to back it off a bit or they'll be out of book options too soon.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Looking at that graph I see that the beginning of 4e had way more products than the beginning of any other edition.
Alas, this is also not true. That graph only included hardcovers, not all products. Here's another one showing all products released per year. Unfortunately, I didn't split this one up by edition, so a direct comparison is a little harder. As it happens, 4e did have a higher average product release rate over its first three years than 3e, but certainly not "way more products than [...] any other edition". Nothing comes close to 2e in a edition-by-edition comparison".

Attachments

• Product_graph_2010_2.jpg
    Product_graph_2010_2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 233

bagger245

Explorer
Is there a difference between these books being cancelled or just postponed? I can't understand the reason for it to be cancelled really..

Dice4Hire

First Post
Is there a difference between these books being cancelled or just postponed? I can't understand the reason for it to be cancelled really..

I wonder about that too. The products that were to be released in Q1 of 2011 should be nearly or totally done by now.

I know WOTC said they would take a look at sales of Essentials and such at about this tiem and maybe they are.

I am hoping for a good announcement around Jan 5th. I do not know anything of one coming though.

Yeah, I find it highly unlikely they even could really cancel HoSS at this late date. Generally you're talking 8-12 weeks for a print run. So basically the product already exists. There ain't no canceling it at this point. The stuff due out later in the year, maybe. Somehow though I find it a bit difficult to believe that with the enthusiastic reception of Red Box they are all of a sudden in vast disarray and canceling things left and right. It is more likely someone pushed the wrong button on the CMS that runs the site and nuked some stuff before sailing off on their holiday break. Betcha we hear all about this around Monday the 3rd.

Aegeri

First Post
Surely you cannot be implying that Wizards have been anything other than comprehensive and extremely accurate with their web based offerings. What possibly could have given you the idea they might be wrong!?!

Honestly, Aegeri, it amazes me how much people HANG on every bit that shows up on the WotC site. I'd bet anyone here good money if you were working over there you'd find that the web site and all the calendars and such are just absolutely an afterthought. They spend 10,000 hours working on a book and 3 hours on the web site. They know full well that whether people actually buy a book or not isn't really related to if it shows up on the site or not or whether people know all about it ahead of time. They're going to find it on Amazon and order it or see it on the shelf at their FLGS and buy it. Or they aren't going to buy it. D&D by-and-large is a captive audience. The people that play it are going to play it and buy it. So getting it out there and making the actual product good is all they really care about. The web site? Yeah, that's nice, we'll have someone look into that sometime before Friday, lol.

Remove ads