• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class exclusive skills and multi-classing

Oogar

First Post
Okay, will someone help me with this. I need to know if this is acceptable, OR know where to find the ruling that says it cannot be done.

1. I make a rogue, he is level 1. As one of his skills I take Decipher Script (Class exclusive) and put 4 ranks into it (Max it out for the level).
2. The Rogue Multi-Classes (Takes a level in fighter, Indiana Jones, here we come), he is now a 2nd level character, 1/1.
3. Next level my Rogue/Fighter adds another level of Rogue. He raises his Decipher Script to 6...

I can see the argument that might try and limit him to 5 in this skill on an intelectual level, only. I do not see anything in the Skills rules (PHB p.57-p62) preventing this. If you have any specific ruling, please give book and page number (Not really looking for a "Because....", rather in need of a specific rule and where to find it). Thanks.

I am leaning towards allowing this in my game, as long as the levels are there I don't really think that it will be unbalancing. Yet I would like to confirm that there are no direct rulings on this matter. And if there are, I would like to see if solid reasons are given.:D

Oogar

First Post
well..... Actually I have been having a bit of a glitch with downloading certain files, and that is one of them. I have been putting off a full format :p I suppose I need to do it, but the system lacks good back up capacity (no zip, or r/w CD).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The answer you seek is in the PHB, pg 56 (discussing skills of multiclass characters):

"If a skill is unavailable to a class...then levels in that class don't increase the multiclass character's maximum ranks."

They then give an example - a 7th level rogue/4th level wizard, has a maximum of 10 ranks in Use Magic Device, which is a rogue exclusive skill.

Remove ads