• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class for Aarakocra in ToA? Need opinions!

Kyvin

Explorer
Hello all,
As an (always) DM, I am finally getting the chance to play in a ToA campaign. I am a huge fan of aarakocra and am very excited to be able to play one. However, I keep going back and forth about the character build and I would appreciate opinions and advice.

Mechanics and damage are important to me. But I also want the theme of the character to make sense. I plan on using a two handed weapon to fly in, kill stuff, fly away and repeat. I plan on taking Mobile at 4th level and probably D&d beyond’s Sky Warden racial feat at 8th level. I would like to still contribute something outside of combat if possible and survivability is also important in ToA. I plan on taking Outlander background.

The rest of the party will probably consist of:
gnome evoker wizard
aasimar paladin
Firbolg shepherd druid
Half elf hexblade warlock

The options I have been comparing are:

Zealot Barbarian with a greataxe
Revised Hunter Ranger with a greataxe
Kensei Monk with a battle axe

I would probably multiclass fighter after 8h level for all

I feel like the monk is the no brainer but the idea of monk just bugs me. Thoughts??

Satyrn

First Post
Hello all,
As an (always) DM, I am finally getting the chance to play in a ToA campaign. I am a huge fan of aarakocra and am very excited to be able to play one. However, I keep going back and forth about the character build and I would appreciate opinions and advice.

Mechanics and damage are important to me. But I also want the theme of the character to make sense. I plan on using a two handed weapon to fly in, kill stuff, fly away and repeat. I plan on taking Mobile at 4th level and probably D&d beyond’s Sky Warden racial feat at 8th level. I would like to still contribute something outside of combat if possible and survivability is also important in ToA. I plan on taking Outlander background.

The rest of the party will probably consist of:
gnome evoker wizard
aasimar paladin
Firbolg shepherd druid
Half elf hexblade warlock

The options I have been comparing are:

Zealot Barbarian with a greataxe
Revised Hunter Ranger with a greataxe
Kensei Monk with a battle axe

I would probably multiclass fighter after 8h level for all

I feel like the monk is the no brainer but the idea of monk just bugs me. Thoughts??

The problem with barbarian that leaps to mind is you'll have to engage in combat every round to keep up your rage, and that might take away from the feel of flying around as a skirmisher.

I'm gonna vote for the hunter ranger, in part because the greataxe seems like an abnormal choice for a ranger, and that will help identify your character as unique.

CTurbo

Explorer
You're not going to want to fly away as a Barb so it's kind of a waste. An Aarakocra Monk is one of the next characters I am going to use. VERY excited about an Aarakocra Monk. As far as I know, the unarmed attack scales with the Monk progression. I'll go either Open Hand or Long Death and use a Spear or Quarterstaff at lower levels.

Aarakocra make great Rogues too. Assassin is an obvious choice, but Swashbuckler would br great too. Swoop in, attack, and then fly away without giving up an AoO.

Aarakocra make great archer Rangers too, but that seems boring to me to stay high up and kite everybody. I've seen an Aarakocra Warlock do a similar thing with Eldritch Blast spam.

I would like to play an Aarakocra Cleric one day. Light Cleric would be an obvious choice, but Tempest Cleric is so awesome all the time, I think it would be a blast(pun intended) to play a flying thunder/lightning controlling bird of destruction. You could even heal without landing. I have to force myself into NOT playing a Tempest Cleric every time.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Unusual take on the "flying kite" theme: Aaracockra Sun Soul Monk.

But I'd look more at a Ranger with a Reach weapon, so you don't have to even worry about opportunity attacks. Swoop in, bat somebody, swoop out. Hopefully you can draw a few of the enemies out to chase you instead of hassling your friends.
Be thinking about what you might do in a confined space; surprise your DM when it finally happens.

And be ready for your DM to 'do unto you' what 'you do unto others'. Other aaracockras, a murder of crows, AT Rogues with an Owl familiar, wyverns, hippogriffs, dragons, cloud giants ... and Magic Missile casters and Eldritch Blast'ers with the XL Range invocation will all be coming your way after a few modules.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Double down on your themes. Be an Eagle Totem Barbarian.
They are designed for hit-and-run tactics.

Except for maybe the last one, you can take the Tiger totem as your last ability instead of a redundant flight power.

Last edited:

Remove ads