Class Idol: Final rankings

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Based on how long they lasted and votes in the their final round, here the final rankings for Class Idol. The second % is the votes they recieved in the first multi-choice poll (there were two multi-choice followed by many single choice). There is a correlation, but being forced to choose one clearly made a difference.

1 Fighter 52.94% 72.52%
2 Warlord 25.21% 54.20%
* Flumph* 21.85% *
3 Sorcerer 20.97% 58.78%
4 swordmage 17.91% 51.15%
5 wizard 11.94% 63.36%
6 avenger 8.42% 49.62%
7 bard 7.07% 51.91%
8 cleric 6.06% 44.27%
9 rogue 5.05% 53.44%
10 barbarian 3.03% 54.20%
11 ranger ** 44.27%
12 warlock ** 48.85%
13 warden ** 42.75%
14 artificer ** 34.35%
15 paladin ** 34.35%
16 monk ** 36.64%
17 assasin ** 35.88%
18 Invoker ** 32.82%
19 Druid ** 32.06%
20 Psion ** 25.19%
21 Shaman ** 23.66%
22 Ardent ** 11.45%

*Flumph is not a 4E class. Yet.
** Did not make single vote rounds.

Ourph

First Post
It's interesting that one of the most eagerly anticipated classes from PHB2 (The Druid) doesn't get very much love in these polls, despite the fact that I've never heard any strong criticism of them.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I don't really have an idea, either. It certainly didn't seem underpowered.

But of the controllers, only the wizard seems popular.

Klaus

First Post
I don't really have an idea, either. It certainly didn't seem underpowered.

But of the controllers, only the wizard seems popular.
Not "underpowered". "Convoluted" is what comes to mind. I guess the wild-shaping-schtick of the 4e Druid didn't appeal to many.

Power is only part of the equation. It helps. The Fighter wouldn't be on top if it wasn't powerful.

But there's a separate issue of doing something and doing it well. i.e. doing it in a way that makes intuitive sense and is evocative. The Fighter nails that. The Warlord is very solid. The Wizard is also a good example. Not even as powerful as other classes, but it's schtick feels good. Feels like it's something.

Some of the other classes are really powerful or really intellectually interesting... but without a really solid hook. Or perhaps like the rogue.... there's a multiplicity of hooks. Too many, possibly, to form a cogent idea of exactly what a rogue is other than just a "striker."

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am not too surprised a fighter won. They are probably the most iconic fantasy class, and the most approachable for new players, or old ones for that matter. Of course, 4E is the best edition for fighters, IMO, because fighters stand the closest to equal. They have the same number of options, and do heir jobs very very well.

I also agree some classes suffer form being a bit too broad, and not being clearly defined as to what they do or what they are. Rogues are a good example of class that, historically, has been more about the non-combat and less about the combat part of the game. With 4E's rules emphasis on combat abilities, rogues kind feel a bit gypped, as when it becomes non-combat, where hey have traditionally been more fun, the Rogue player has less on his/her sheet to use, and must go more with non-tangible abilities. Like skill challenges or impromptu actions.

But overall an interesting poll.

awesomeocalypse

First Post
Fighters are just a great, great class. They are iconic, yet can be easily flavored to fit a huge number of concepts. They're powerful, but not (usually) broken. They are fantastic at performing their role. They are easy and intuitive to build and play, but offer tremendous tactical depth such that even an experienced player can have a great time playing a fighter. They are the class I point new players to when I want to sell them on 4e. In other editions I tended to almost exclusively play wizards and other arcane types, and long despised fighters, but in 4e even *I* enjoy the class.

Dedekind

Explorer
The things that most surprise me from the final results were:

1) The warlord did so well in this poll and so terribly in the Survivor poll. I guess it is a "poll"arizing class? (hur hur)

2) The wizard didn't make it into the top 4. I guess it is true that people have fallen out of love with the wizard in 4e.

@TerraDave A race poll might be interesting next.

Remove ads