• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

class levels and CR

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
A question for those knowledgeable (I'd repost elsewhere, but I figure I'll start with the experts): I recently got a copy of FC1, and I noticed something odd about the CR/EL in the sample encounter for the Yochlol. The EL listed is 16 for a yochlol bard 13, when the CR for a standard yochlol is 8 (with 10 hit dice). Why such a low EL? I noticed a similar issue for Red Shroud in Dungeon 148 (she is a succubus sorceror 11/fatespinner 4 listed at CR 19). Is there a general principle I'm missing? I thought the rule was to add +1 to CR per class level (nonassociated or NPC classes start with the second level), but that doesn't seem to work here. But these writers generally know their stuff...

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
I thought the rule was to add +1 to CR per class level (nonassociated or NPC classes start with the second level), but that doesn't seem to work here.
Nonassociated classes only add +1/2 CR per level (until one of the nonassociated clases equals the creature's racial hit dice. See the SRD.

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oh, oops, why on earth did I think it was \delta CR = nonassoc level -1? Guess that would do it, then.

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
To be perfectly fair, +1 per associated level or +1/2 per unassociated level can only hold true for maybe 50% base advancement for creatures over 10HD. Which is why the final step of CR evaluation is to take a good hard look at your creature's capabilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads