Class revisions

RigaMortus

Explorer
Merlion said:
Great ideas Riga I love seeing another bard fan. Any thoughts on the Monk and Druid?

I kind of like them how they are oddly enough. I have yet to play either of them really. I've seen a Monk played before, a few times. I've seen a Druid played before once (in 3E that is). I don't really have much personal experience with them to really make a decission of what they could use and could do without.

Actually, I have yet to play a Bard as well. I made several characters up for them, just haven't had the chance to play them. But when I look at all the cool class abilities a Monk and Druid get when they level compared to what a Bard gets, it's like blah.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

No, no... Holy Sword is a great spell for a Rogue! With a wand, and lots of UMD...

-Hyp.

But only if they have a Wand of Divine Favor and a Wand of Divine Might as well, and they have a bucket of snails and a blind kobold.

Rill

First Post
Druid...

There are also changes in 3.5 that will enhance current class abilities without requiring a change to the class itself. The druid and ranger will have a greater list of possible animal companions due to the reclassification of the beast creature type, for example.

-Rill

Mortaneus

First Post
As far as the monk goes, I want to see them toss out 'Unarmed Attack Bonus' entirely, and just give the monk a +1/lvl BAB, with no improved iterative attacks. They've got flurry of blows, after all...why go through the trouble of giving them their own special AB that is used nowhere else in the game?

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
not a bad idea in theory but you know there never going to give anyone beside fighter paladin etc a +1 per level progression.
My biggest gripe with the monk is that they get Ki Strike to late, but it looks like there fixing that.
On a not as rulesy note the multiclass restriction thing is stupid as a core rule. I dont really like the alignment restriction either. Of course the whole Law/chaos thing in DnD bugs me anyway

Shard O'Glase

First Post
RigaMortus said:

But only if they have a Wand of Divine Favor and a Wand of Divine Might as well, and they have a bucket of snails and a blind kobold.

Thing is I don't consider most of that a bucket of snails moment. I consider it to be one of the things a smart rogue would do. UMD is a great class ability that people seem to ignore. If you are a rogue buy(steal) those wands/scrolls etc and kick some butt already. We hada rogue in our party a year or so ago with a, wand of divine favor(caster level 7) and staff of tensers transofrmation and haste, absurdly expensive with the potion of str req but dang he was one kick butt rogue when he busted it all out at 14th level(12th caster level on staff)

Victim

First Post
By the time a paladin gets Dispel Magic, most situations will call for Greater Dispelling. His effective caster level is half his real level. So a paladin's Dispel is pretty worthless.

Rangers actually get good spells. While they lack Endure Elements, which seems to be a perfect ranger spell, Rangers get Protection from Elements as a level 2 spell. Each caster level provides a large amount of protection, so a ranger will still have decent defenses.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Yeah, the Paladin/Monk multiclassing rule stinks, but it's easily house-ruled. The FR-style "Orders" are nice, but it's too easy to just pick an order that matches what you want. What we did IMC for both classes:

(Yes, this should be in the House Rules forum, oh well)

> You can freely multiclass to and from your race's Favored Class. For races with "Any", you can freely multiclass to/from one other class.
(Example: Bob is a level 4 Elven Paladin. He can take a level of Wizard and still go back to Paladin. If he takes a level of Rogue instead, he can't go back.)
After all, the concept of a Favored Class seemed to be something the race could easily pick up a bit of. Something so natural that it doesn't interfere with your other training.

> However, the "limited" class (Paladin/Monk) must remain your highest-level class at all times (it can be tied for highest, though). If you ever have another class with more levels, you can never go back.

> Prestige classes don't count against this.

Note that due to the way the math works, it'd be impossible to progress in both Paladin and Monk at the same time, because one would lock the other out. Not that you'd want to...

melkoriii

First Post
Merlion said:

I have to disagree on Monte's ranger being to powerful...he only gets a handful of bonus feats and the list is smaller than a fighters...I've you've already said the more skillpoints which I think was a must...only other he gave them is good Ref saves...which makes sense...and a spell progresion tweak so small you have to hunt to find it. and he reduced there hit die. Seems perfect to me.
Anything else you could see the monk getting/needing?

I sooo disagree.

Monte's Ranger made it so there was NO reason to take Fighter for lvls 1-3.

If you compared a Fighter lvl 20 to a Ranger 3/Fighter 17. The Multi-classed Ranger/Fighter was better.

I bet you could even do a Ranger 5/Fighter 15 and be even better because of spells.

Merlion

First Post
I didnt know there was a reason to take levels in fighter if your playing a ranger unless you want to play a fighter/ranger

Remove ads