• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class revisions

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I didnt know there was a reason to take levels in fighter if your playing a ranger unless you want to play a fighter/ranger

Other way around.

He's saying that if your character concept was "Dangerous combatant with lots of feats", MRgr3/Ftr17 is better than Ftr20. The ranger levels make the fighter better.

Given that "Dangerous combatant with lots of feats" is what the Fighter is all about, there's something wrong with that.

-Hyp.

melkoriii

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Other way around.

He's saying that if your character concept was "Dangerous combatant with lots of feats", MRgr3/Ftr17 is better than Ftr20. The ranger levels make the fighter better.

Given that "Dangerous combatant with lots of feats" is what the Fighter is all about, there's something wrong with that.

-Hyp.

Exactly

Merlion

First Post
well personaly I agree with RigaMortus that most or all of the combat classes should perhaps get some bonus feats from a very specfic list. and I still dont personaly get how anyone could not like the Monte Cook ranger ~~~as a better version of the RANGER~~~

Apok

First Post
My personal favorite Ranger class is the Mercenary Ranger from AEG's Mercenaries. I've never seen a class that fits the archetype so well and is at the same time highly customizable.

Even though WotC is planning to do a major rework of the Ranger class, I don't see it coming close to the coolness that is the Merc Ranger. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think the cards will fall that way.

Apok

First Post
The Merc Ranger is like the PHB Ranger with the following differences...

Favored Terrain, which gives him bonuses to skills when operating in that terrain and other benefits that increase with level (harder to track, pass without trace, etc).

Instead of getting Ambidex/TWF at first level, the Ranger gets Ranger Options spread out over his 20 levels from which he can select Feats, Spellcasting ability, additional Favored Terrains or Enemeis, and other abilities like increased movement, more HP, a natural armor increase, animal companion, etc.

Merlion

First Post
That does sound good...that and Monte's seem to be the best I've seen. do they get 6 SPs instead of 4?
I think the revision is going to be pretty good. anything's better than the PHB one.

fba827

Adventurer
druid thoughts

Stuff I expect to see for the druid --

Adjusted spell list (they've already said this)

Animal Companions will probably include the stuff currently in the DMG (about max HD being reduced if it's a traveling druid)

Wildshape -- no doubt this will be updated to the new Wildshape rules from MotW

Stuff I would like to see

Nature Sense. It overlaps with a good portion of Knowledge: Nature. I understand it does not overlap entirely, but it overlaps a lot. (plus I was never a fan of "automatic" stuff) -- would rather see this as a +1/level to Knowledge:Nature for checks involving water, plants, and animals. (or something along those lines).

Some option to make a slight terrain focus (even if it is a feat) just something to give a druid that has been in the moutains all his life some edge over some forest druid just coming to the mountain tops for a battle...

Possibly the inclusion of alchemy in the skill list (that's a maybe though -- I don't have a problem with it but then toss in the whole idea of mixing herbs and such and alchemy just seems to be the best skill to fit that role).

(obviously, I know the whole rule 0 and house rule options -- they are already similiar house rules in place. I'm just offering what i'd like to see since that is what was asked :))

Merlion

First Post
Well alchemy is aparently going to be becoming a Craft skill so that wont be a problem.
I like nature sense and I actualy would like to see some rules for druids being able to sense disturbances in natural areas...unnatural magic or creatures etc.
How bout the Monk and Bard?

fba827

Adventurer
Merlion said:
Well alchemy is aparently going to be becoming a Craft skill so that wont be a problem.
I like nature sense and I actualy would like to see some rules for druids being able to sense disturbances in natural areas...unnatural magic or creatures etc.
How bout the Monk and Bard?

Monks -

More customizable. Perhaps changing their abilities to special Monk feats and then pick a Monk feat from the Monk list at specific levels, etc.

Would like to see the UAB match their BAB (to solve the infernal question of UAB stacking with BAB for multiclassers -- to keep the higher number of attacks that goes in the UAB, maybe something that simply says "if only using unarmed attacks, the iterative attacks are gained after each +4 rather than each +5 -- or whatever the current difference is ...)

Bards --

The more the group uses the Bard Song abilities, the more questions per situations come up. Some clarification there may be helpful. Never liked the way it was based on Perform ranks rather than an actual check, but that's a personal preference thing (it speeds things up if you don't need to roll, I understand that) if not based on a roll, perhaps on total skill modifier instead? I dunno, just something there ...

(just my rambles --)

Remove ads