• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classes you play the most

What classes do you play the most?

• Assassin

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Bard

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 53 35.3%
  • Druid

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 60 40.0%
  • Monk

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Thief/Rogue

Votes: 65 43.3%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Warlock

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Warlord

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • Wizard

Votes: 79 52.7%
  • Psionic classes

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other arcane spellcasters

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Other divine spellcasters

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other non-spellcasting classes

Votes: 6 4.0%

Hassassin

First Post
About half the characters I've played have been multi-class with at least one of cleric, fighter, rogue or wizard in the mix. The only classes I've used more than once or twice for purely single-classed characters are bard and wizard. I usually DM and tend to try new things when I get to have a PC.

In answer to the question, I have mostly played Wizards/Magic Users, although in recent years Clerics, Druids and Bards have appealed too (as alternative types of magic user, essentially).

The vote itself offers a fairly typical set of results, with Wizards, Rogues, Fighters and Rangers (more than Cleric) the most popular. No surprises here, although this list is becoming more standardized, and the spread of votes isn't that glaring really. There is scope to include all classes on the list. My caveats would be:

a) I still find the warlock and Warlord badly named - I'd prefer Witch and Noble.
b) The Sorcerer as per 3rd edition is really so similar to a Wizard it could really just be handled by the provision of 'Spontaneous Casting' Feats, and the like. They should be combined into one class.
c) Psionicists should only appear in setting specific supplements in my view, where Psionics is present.
d) Monks should be less overtly 'Eastern' insofar that they could represent a disciplined, unarmed ascetic from any culture.

So, for me, the final class list should be:

Assassin
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Noble (Warlord)
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Witch (Warlock)
Wizard (incorporating Sorcerer)

...and I'd be very happy!:)

Stormonu

Legend
Mostly, I prefer fighter-types - Barbarian, Paladin, Fighter, Ranger. I have branched out into arcane casters occasionally, and I'd far rather play a Bard than a Rogue. I've never played a Cleric or Druid, oddly enough.

Of course, I think the number of times I've been a player and not a DM over 25+ years can be counted on one hand.

Half-Orc Fighter/Assassin
Dwarf Fighter
Elf Enchanter
Human Necromancer (Witch kit)
Dwarf Barbarian
Halfling Bard (Arcane Trickster prestige class)

...and half a dozen characters I got to play one or two sessions before the game fizzled or I took over as DM to save it.

Yora

Legend
So? Do I get arrested by the Core Enforcement Squad if less than 50% of my PCs have classes not published in whatever book came out first in any given edition? Because that's what you're implying.
No, but I didn't feel like making a poll with 300 classes to chose from, so they fall into "other". However, "other arcane" might indeed be a bit misleading.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Fighter.

Followed by Paladin (or some variant thereof, like fighter/cleric or Crusader)

And Wizard when I don't feel like smashing someones face.

Mokona

First Post
AD&D 2e divided classes up into groups: Warrior, Wizard, Priest, and Rogue. I tried to divide the classes in the poll into these groups but I wasn't sure what would be the most appropriate fit for monk.

Warriors
  • Fighter
  • Barbarian
  • Ranger
  • Paladin
  • Warlord

Wizards
  • Mage
  • Warlock
  • Sorcerer
  • Other arcane spellcasters

Priests
  • Cleric
  • Druid
  • Other divine spellcasters

Rogues
  • Thief
  • Bard
  • Assassin

You end up with 153 warrior votes spread across 5 classes (30.6 avg). Rogue gets 93 votes spread across 3 classes (31.0 avg). Wizard gets 106 votes spread across 4 options (26.5 avg). Lastly, Priest gets 67 votes spread across 3 options (22.3 avg).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
dos-equis-guy1.jpg

I don't always play a PC.
But when I do, I play a Fighter.

They are straightforward, uncomplicated, and loads of fun...and they are a great choice for former DMs, because they can operate quietly behind the scenes and not "steal the show" from the other players.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads