Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print

Print on Deman Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild? (I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

Print on Deman

Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild?

(I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

My own preference would be for more formats. However, that has to be balanced against negative reviews by people who expect a cheaply-made original to somehow experience a massive jump in quality due to ordering a "premium reprint."

For example, the story of the Ouya console system. To sum up, Ouya inc. announced a $100 console system that could fit in your hand, stow away easily pretty much anywhere, and let you play mobile games on your TV. To kick the project off, they turned to kickstarter, and, as of the last time I checked, they still hold the record as the seventh-highest grossing project.

The project, needless to say, funded; units were produced and shipped; Youtube reviews went up...And "two-thirds" of them (approx.) by my rough, anecdotal viewing count, were complaining that their $100 console was, in fact, literally a $100 console. The other "one-third" simply noted that their $100 console was, in fact, a $100 console, and exactly what they were expecting. Sales sunk, and many purchasers sold their units on EBay.

Sadly, the company failed, and was bought out, because they delivered exactly what they advertised...And not what many purchasers seemed to expect.

Note: I was not involved. I did not, and do not, actually have a use for a $100 console. I am just noting that only one-half of what you say matters; the other half is what they hear. And the third half is what third-party listeners overhear.

To sum up, which POD formats are made available is a matter for the marketing department, not common sense. ;) :p :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

EonTrinity

Villager
The order is really strange, I must admit. Why would you release a Maztica adventure for print without the core first?

Still, my Hollow World should be arriving any day. Looking forward to it! Will report in on what it looks like.

ET

EonTrinity

Villager
Well guys, it came today... and I must say that it looks *GREAT*. Please keep a couple of things in mind. First, I have bought dozens of POD books from RPGnow and have always been extremely happy with them. Second, I never had the original Hollow World - nor have I ever seen it in person so I can't really compare. What I can say is that the book looks great. The colors are crisp, the text is real good (I can barely tell that they are a scan), the maps colors look good. Having bought some old school TSR materials back in the day, I can say that the book is easily of that quality. The paper is different of course, because it is modern acid free - so it is thinner, but I find that a plus. In the end it is 200 pages of classic D&D gold, looks really good... I am really happy...

I don't know. Ultimately it looked so good i realized I was in deep trouble. I spent a fortune filling in the holes on my WOD collection thanks to RPGnow's POD. I can see myself ordering a lot of these and building the classic D&D collection I have always wanted. I am really looking forward to the classic Mystara and FR books hitting POD.

ET

dagger

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, and can I get a few pics, especially the map pages? I have the original but I will not be too critical. :) At this point in my life I care more about the usefulness of the product anyway. I also am looking forward to some FR box sets and other things like 2e spell compendiums would be amazing!

EonTrinity

Villager
Okay... as soon as I figure out how to upload some pics... Looks like you need a URL to post them and I don't have a place to put them online.

ET

Mad_Jack

Legend
Imgur, Imageshack, Photobucket... Although not a lot of people like Photobucket.
But you can get a free account at any of those sites and post the pics there, and they'll give you the codes for direct links to the images or the codes to post them on forums or social media.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads