D&D General What Is Your Dream 50th Anniversary Product?

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
When D&D celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1999, they released a nice boxed set featuring reprints of several classic modules, the Holmes rulebook, and a brief history of TSR booklet.

I've been thinking about what I'd love to see Wizards release in 2024 for D&D's 50th anniversary, and it's a tough question. Lots of the rulebooks were reprinted just before 5E came out. Lots of old adventures are available on DM's Guild, many even in the print-on-demand format.

I think what I want is a giant boxed set of the first 25 (or even 50!) adventure modules that TSR ever published. I'm talking about nice reprints, with the original loose folder covers. (The print-on-demand versions have the covers bound to the modules.)

Or, the first 25-50 supplements, including adventures along with things like Dungeon Geomorphs, character sheets, etc.

Yeah, it would be expensive, but they could do a limited run of maybe 1000 (or 5000) copies and call it a collectible. I feel sure the market exists for such a product.

Anyone else have thoughts about your idea 50th anniversary product?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
POD books are nice and most (but by no means all) TSR and WotC products are now available that way.

But extremely high end reprints of older material would be nice. The upcoming OD&D reprint with the design notes and history add sounds great, but is probably an impractical form factor for most other editions, as the AD&D fork turned into three or more hardbacks considered "core" for each edition.

The classic premium reprints came out a decade ago and now go for hundreds of dollars on the aftermarket. I would have loved to have seen another set of those, maybe even nicer (some of the 1E reprints from that run are a little blurry). This seems like something they could safely license out to Beedle & Grimm's, who would no doubt make it really deluxe.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would like a new Dragon Magazine. Dungeon would be great as well, but some sort of articles that is not just an announcement for a new product or playtest material. Stuff that help develop campaigns and such.
The economics of magazines are tough nowadays, but an annual along the lines of the OSR's Knock magazine doesn't seem unrealistic, even if it has to be a licensed product again, rather than something produced in-house.

nerowow

Villager
I would like a new Dragon Magazine. Dungeon would be great as well, but some sort of articles that is not just an announcement for a new product or playtest material. Stuff that help develop campaigns and such.
I would enjoy an official magazine for the lifespan of the next edition.

My pick would be an anthology with a dungeon/adventure from each edition translated into D&D2024 (or whatever it will actually be called).

Remove ads