• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

eoghanbt

First Post
Let's see...

Nine Hells...
Ecology of the mind-flayer...
The whole April Fools issue that was...issue 72 I want to say? Had 1/2 level spells...like Summon Thunderstorm, Summon Ants...
Wound damage article...
All the Tom Wham game issues.
I think the dungeoncraft series more recently was excellent.

Tucker's Kobolds.

Piece of short fiction called "The Gun" or some such..

I liked the book review column..
amazing that I read a review of Eddings' first novel in a Dragon when it was just a little paperback release..

Qwillion

First Post
Wyrms of the north

Wizards Three

Dungeoncraft.

First Quest

and the How to Design a (feat, prestige class) articles from the early days of third edition.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Sketchpad said:
Personally ... I've always enjoyed alternate ideas ...new races, new classes, varient classes, new prestige classes, new feats and new uses for skills. I think that Dragon could use a regular article that introduces either a new class or varient class into the game. For example, I'd love to see another stab at a Knight class ... or maybe alternates for rogues. I think that WotC's site has a good thing with their Savage Species feature and maybe somethiing like that would be cool. I think my favorite article from Dragon (that wasn't in the long deceased "Ares" section) was the Archer NPC class for 1e ... I loved that class :)

I'll relate the stuff I liked from the 3e Dragons before I let my subscription lapse (due to differences of opinion with Paizon about the direction of Dragon, especially as it related to the printing of certain four-letter words - but that's neither here nor there)... just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

I suppose it would be difficult to do again, but I enjoyed the "Design a Feat" and "Design a Monster" articles.

I enjoyed the "Rays of Light" article... not so much for the spells, but for expanding what can be done with Rays.

Basically, I enjoy things that don't so much introduce "kewl new spellz and featz" so much as take an existing theme and play with it for a while.

Also, I *loved* the "Just Give Me Money" article from way way back. Anything that helps add realism to "orc and pie" adventures is welcome.

Things that DON'T float my boat... "mad-lib table articles" (you are a TABLE A from TABLE B who wants to TABLE C with TABLE D)... non-game-related fiction (can't STAND it - Dragon is an RPG magazine, not a fantasy fiction magazine)... anything to do with Drow... "Matching Dragon's Theme to WotC's Latest Release And Making It a $7 Advertisement For the Release"

Basically, give me stuff that will be fresh and relevant *to my gaming sessions* three months from now.

--The Sigil

mtbdm

First Post
Dragons of the Realms

Off the top of my head

Dragons of the Realms
the Recent Githyanki Articles
the articles on Alternate Spell Components
Sage Advice

Lokirime

First Post
here we go (bit long)

Hello Erik,

I started to read Dragon with issue 74 (lotsa years ago) and immediately tried to get my hands on back issues (subscription came later).

Here's my list. It's bit long, though:

- Gary's "From the Sorcerer's Scroll" column.

- The old "Giants in the Earth" series

- The Nine Hells article (and its later addendum)

- The "Anti-Paladin" NPC class

- Roger Moore's articles on the various demi-human races (the POV series)

- Lakofka's "Leomund's Tiny Hut" column

- covers... Why hasn't no one mentioned them????
For starters, I think no one could intimate action as well as Holloway. I remember two covers vividly: one with depicting a nighttime swamp scene with a tattoed dwarf dragging a KO'ed orc and a woman hiding behind a tree plus some orcs in the background wading through the swamp, and another showing a post-combat daylight scene where a small group of elves is reluctantly approaching another group of feisty orcs; if you look closely some fallen orcs are not dead but lying in wait for the elves to get close so to give then a OACOWA).
Beauvais is magnificent (the Chess series).
Ned Dameron did some highly dynamic covers.
Let's not forget the Witch cover for 114 (I belive), which showed a nekkid! woman in a highly stylised way but which caused an
uproar...
BTW, if you have any weight to throw around with Dragon's Art Dept, pls give us more action scenes and less portraits! (think Holloway, do not think frex #315's cover).

- NPC classes (sentinel, frex)

- The complete content of issue 90 - (with the Asgard planar info plus _Aesirhamar_)

- As above, issue #67: Fedifensor and Astral Plane info.

- Again, the entire issue with the Illithid extra-long article, with impressive art by Janet Aulisio.

- Finieous Fingers & Wormy (nuff said)

- The Roger Moore article that analysed A&D&1E classes - very well thought out, based on factoids (XP, average HPs, etc). Unique!

- Creature Collections - frex, the lillend and the lhiannan shee came from these...

- "A Different Bard, Not Quite so Hard"

- the article with a paladin for each alignment.

- "From the City of Brass to Dead Orc Pass".

- Ray Winninger's Dungeoncraft run.

- Paul Jaquays article on Avatars

- the reviews section, particularly when they were done by game designers
(Bambra, Terra, Rolston).

- the Monty Haul run (and the Waldorf letters years later)

- extra material from TSR projects (FR comes to mind - Waterdeep
extra-material cut from FR1, Skullport extra-material, Ivid the
Undying material)

- "Plan Before You Play" and "Law of the Land" by Ed Greenwood. I based my first homebrew on the map presented by Greenwood in the 1st article...

- Katherine Kerr's "Beyond the Dungeon" 1 and 2 from Dragons 87 and 88; Kerr's "The Real Barbarians" from 72.

- Stephen Inniss' articles (he did a lot).

- "Living in a Material World" from Dragon 81(by Michael Dobson)

- Bruce Heard's article on magical research from Dragon 82, "Spells
Between the Covers". Excellent! Great Source for AD&D1E. superceded today by 3.* rules.

- Healing herbs article. I also used it intensively in my games.

- The Cavalier and Thief-Acrobat.

- "The Toxins of Cerilon" (by Larry Di Tillio)

- The entire run of Minarian Legends

- "The Highs & Lows of Fantasy". That issue (146, I think) is just. about. perfect.

- The Elven cavalier article. Nice tropes.

- The "u2 ken urn big bux" is a classic. As mentioned before, some of my friends can quote the test verbatim... hilarious!

Cheers,

lokirime

Rifter

First Post
Here is my list

I have to agree with the others: "Ecology of" rocked.

I also liked the Tesseract article. I keep wanting to use that, and one of these days, I will.

I liked the critical hits and misses.

I know it is more modern, but I miss Class Acts.

I really enjoyed the Incursion Dungeon/Dragon combo, of course, I have always liked Gith of both flavors. I would like to see more articles covering Giths, their wars, their homelands, and, mindflyers.

Another favorite of mine, was that one that others have mentioned, find earth, et all.

Dungeon Craft would be nice.

I do like the tie-ins with recently released WotC products, but some of the feel forced. I have generally enjoyed the recent OGL articles in Dragon, as well. I think that was a good move.

Remove ads