Cleave and Great Cleave Question

hong

WotC's bitch
Zimri said:
We use great cleave in the following manner: If you keep dropping stuff you keep swinging as long as there are foes you can reach without moving.
That's just some crazy freaked-out sheet, mang.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MerakSpielman said:
Are you sure? I can't remember off hand if there is a rule against making two (or more) simultanious attacks with the same weapon, if multiple conditions have been met that each allow an instantanous attack. (deliberately avoiding "common sense" here)

It becomes a serious issue if you have two people using Karmic Strike on each other.

The Karmic Strike AoO specifically occurs "at the same time" as the triggering hit (rather than before, as most AoOs).

So if you hit me, and thus I use Karmic Strike and hit you at the same time, you get to use Karmic Strike to hit me at the same time... but that second hit of yours hits at the same time - and, likely, with the same weapon - as the first hit of yours. If we both have Combat Reflexes, it can get very odd :)

-Hyp.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
So if you hit me, and thus I use Karmic Strike and hit you at the same time, you get to use Karmic Strike to hit me at the same time... but that second hit of yours hits at the same time - and, likely, with the same weapon - as the first hit of yours. If we both have Combat Reflexes, it can get very odd :)

Lol, or very DragonballZ-ish. :p

Jeb McDonald

First Post
Our group has never used Cleave and Great Cleave to get two attacks. In fact, we've never even thought of it. Are you sure this is how it is supposed to work?
Rather, as someone posted earlier, you kill something and get a Cleave attack. If that attack kills that creature, then you get to use a Great Cleave attack on another creature in your immediate threat range.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Cleaving

I belive that Great cleave allows for cleaving as long as long as you "let the bodies hit the floor"! Now the Master Samurai prestige class is a bit different. Supreme Cleave...that is the shizznazz. You can Great Cleave...and take a 5 ft. step after each one!!!!

Aries Omega

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Aries_Omega said:
Supreme Cleave...that is the shizznazz. You can Great Cleave...and take a 5 ft. step after each one!!!!

Yup - a 5' step after each one!!!! ... up to the normal limit of one 5' step each round.

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You're absolutely right. But they're both required to be immediate, so as soon as you take one, the other is past its use-by date, and is lost.

What if he has two weapons in hand? ;)

j/k

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
What if he has two weapons in hand? ;)

j/k

I'll answer anyway :)

A Cleave must be with the same weapon that dropped the first opponent.

Therefore, so must a Great Cleave.

So even if you're holding a second weapon, both 'immediate attacks' are required to be with the same weapon, and so one can't happen 'immediately'.

-Hyp.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
I ruled in my game that with Cleave and the other feats related to it that if you are fighting with paired weapons that it counts for what ever weapon you used. Meaning if you are fighting with a longsword/shortsword combo and you hit a goblin with your longsword...and cleave through you hit the next goblin with the long sword and so on until you can no longer cleave....then here comes the shortsword.

AriesOmega

Remove ads