Cleric leaving his Deity

Darkone

First Post
Hello,

recently the Cleric in the party has left his Deity (Bane) i was looking in the rule books on info but could not find anything, are there any rules like to what happen to the cleric level and so on?

Thanks

Yunru

Banned
Banned
This is very much up to the DM and the campaign setting. Personally I would work with him to find a new god that's willing to have him as a cleric, and change his domains to the new god's.

Alternatively gods may be powerless to "take back" granted power, in which case the Cleric can still use Bane's power, just not as Bane would want (which eould probably lead to Bane sending squads out to stop the Cleric).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
My suggestion would be to pick a class that's closest to what his playstyle's been, or pick a few and let him choose one.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I would also keep in mind the fact that other followers of the old god - Bane, I guess - probably won't be happy about the player defecting. Most priests are commoners who can't cast spells, so those who can would be seen as especially favored by the god. For a "chosen one" to turn their back on the religion could be theologically huge - even moreso if the character is level 6 or higher. Think of a Pope or a Sephardi Chief Rabbi or a Dalai Lama suddenly abandoning their old ways. You'd have shock and disbelief, and not a few parties interested in keeping the event a secret - by any means necessary.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I would also keep in mind the fact that other followers of the old god - Bane, I guess - probably won't be happy about the player defecting. Most priests are commoners who can't cast spells, so those who can would be seen as especially favored by the god. For a "chosen one" to turn their back on the religion could be theologically huge - even moreso if the character is level 6 or higher. Think of a Pope or a Sephardi Chief Rabbi or a Dalai Lama suddenly abandoning their old ways. You'd have shock and disbelief, and not a few parties interested in keeping the event a secret - by any means necessary.

Excellent though fodder for campaign development.

mellored

Legend
Ok, but if he want to change a class what happens to his levels?
I allow anyone to change their character when they aren't having fun. Keeping their level and replacing their magic items and wealth with similar ones.

I tie it into the story though. For instance, the old character may die while rescuing the new character.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hello,

recently the Cleric in the party has left his Deity (Bane) i was looking in the rule books on info but could not find anything, are there any rules like to what happen to the cleric level and so on?

Thanks
As noted, no rules for this; you'll have to talk to the player and make up something on the fly.

Also as noted, what a story plot!
Bane being what he is - God of Tyranny - an assassin squad is the least of the Cleric's worries. Nobody tells Bane 'No' and makes it stick. If this cleric ever heads into a town with a Temple to Bane, and the congregation hears about it, it should probably generate protest/riots (like UC Berkely had recently IRL) aimed at him personally ... and whoever / whatever has the bad luck to be in the way.
P.S. What other gods owe Bane a favor or are under his compulsion?

Remove ads