• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric Won't Heal?

Zardnaar

Legend
The life cleric channel is kind of annoying because it only takes you up to a maximum of half health.

Yeah doesn't really help much relieving pressure on the healing burden.

Personally I like spreading the damage around so something like healer feat or prayer if healing is kinda efficient.

Then you have things like rogue players who like hanging back pretending to be archers aka being useless.

It's not like they can take a hit and halve the damage or anything.

So yeah if you want the cleric to help try helping out yourself.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I covered that earlier. Don't ask for magical healing until you have used your hit dice.
We have a saying here: "Cures are better as hit points in the recipient than they are as spells in the Cleric".

I'd say use the magical healing first. Why? Because using one's hit dice is something anyone can do, and thus those hit dice are better kept in reserve for situations where there is no healer, or the healer is out of juice.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
At no point was anyone discussing refusing to heal,
Actually, refusing to heal at any time is what I have been discussing - or trying to.

I prefer healing be something done out of combat except in dire emergencies, and in said dire emergencies chances are it's a potion rather than a spell getting used anyway.

And I've both played* and DMed** Clerics who would not heal, or unless certain conditions were met.

* - my convert-or-die Cleric from upthread.
** - a Death Cleric who, if anyone - friend or foe - went down, saw it as his duty to make sure they were dead and smooth their journey into the afterlife. In other words, drop on this guy's watch and you weren't getting up. I don't remember if the Cleric ever healed anyone who was still standing; but if you were still standing that meant it wasn't your time to die yet and so he'd leave you alive.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah doesn't really help much relieving pressure on the healing burden.

Personally I like spreading the damage around so something like healer feat or prayer if healing is kinda efficient.

Then you have things like rogue players who like hanging back pretending to be archers aka being useless.

It's not like they can take a hit and halve the damage or anything.

So yeah if you want the cleric to help try helping out yourself.
I actually really like the healer feat. It scales a bit as well which is nice and can really help keep the party patched up a bit.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
At no point was anyone saying clerics should only heal or heal on demand.

What I said was the class is designed to heal as a basic part of the chassis and clerics should heal appropriately. I said multiple times there's usually a better option in combat.

That's why I said you should probably read my other posts. ;-)
Why yes, there are comments saying clerics should heal on demand. That have a problem if they "call for healing" and the cleric doesn't do it, that's a problem and they would want to get rid of the player.

Perhaps not you, but when you make claims that "anyone", that's beyond your own posts.

Again, your comment to read the thread find a different target then you intended.

Remove ads