• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Clerics and negative energy

Bolcien

First Post
alrighty, I'm a Neutral good Cleric Crusader, who worships Sarenrae, with the healing domain. and she's an in your face, smack you with a warhammer (turned into a trademark of mine with another group but use the scimitar when I need the boost to hit.) and I was looking thru the feats and saw Channeling smite, which sounds good for my in your face Crusader, now while she channels positive energy due to being good and Sarenrae being good, is there a feat or something what will allow me to channel negative energy as well short of a wish or miracle Spell or talking to Sarenrae herself?

Kinak

First Post
I think you're out of luck by the rules as written.

If you can convince your DM to let you take the Versatile Channeler feat without technically qualifying, that's probably as good as you'd get. There might be some other option out there, but nothing I've seen.

If I were GMing and a player asked me to do this, I'd let them spend a feat to have their Channel Smite add fire damage (rather than positive or negative energy). But that's getting even deeper into houserule territory.

I'd skip Sarenrae and talk with the DM directly, though :) With most DMs you'd be able to figure something out. Good luck.

Cheers!
Kinak

Mad Hamish

First Post
I'd find it very hard to justify Serenrae giving negative energy as a channeling option.

I'd find it pretty easy to justify a feat allowing her clerics to channel fire though

Bolcien

First Post
well I am the DM and I don't want to make my characters too over powered, (more so then they already are.) but I think with a little tweaking channeling smite could do fire damage, or make a new feat

smite of sarenrae
Prerequisit: Cleric, Worshiper of sarenre. 2d6 channel energy(?)

Allows you to channel your goddesses energy into your smite causing fire damage equal to your channel energy (you can do 3d6 channel, you smite for 3d6 fire). You expend 2 uses of your channel energy each time you attack with this smite. You also have to make a touch attack roll in addition to the attack roll to hit with the smite.

how does that sound? although it could be resticted even further to an archetype of cleric like crusader.

Empirate

First Post
well I am the DM and I don't want to make my characters too over powered, (more so then they already are.) but I think with a little tweaking channeling smite could do fire damage, or make a new feat

smite of sarenrae

Allows you to channel your goddesses energy into your smite causing fire damage equal to your channel energy (you can do 3d6 channel, you smite for 3d6 fire). You expend 2 uses of your channel energy each time you attack with this smite. You also have to make a touch attack roll in addition to the attack roll to hit with the smite.

how does that sound? although it could be resticted even further to an archetype of cleric like crusader.

I think it sounds like giving up entirely too much for entirely too little. How about just adapting that Versatile Channeler feat to work with Channeling Smite, and calling it a day? You do spend two feats for this trick, after all!

If you want to have just one feat that combines both, I'd probably go with the "costs two channel attempts" idea you had, but leave out the touch attack, and don't make it fire, as that's really easily resisted by a lot of things.

Kinak

First Post
Thanks for dropping by!

I think tweaking channel smite to deal fire might actually be fine by itself. I can't promise that, though.

It depends actually some on how your group has dealt with healing. If your cleric finishes a lot of adventuring days out of channel energies, it's going to be fine. If they're handling out of combat healing already without the use of channel energy, it might be too much.

smite of sarenrae

Targets of channel energy (including channel smite) usually get a save for half damage, so I'd use that rather than the touch attack.

Prerequisite: Channel energy class feature, worshiper of Saranrae.
Benefit: Before you make a melee attack roll, you can choose to spend two uses of your channel energy ability as a swift action. If you hit a creature, it takes additional fire damage equal to the damage dealt by your channel energy ability. Your target can make a Will save to halve this additional damage. If your attack misses, the channel energy ability is still expended with no effect.

Unlike Empirate, I'd suggest sticking with fire. It works thematically and keeps it from effecting absolutely everything. With that feat, you're basically paying an extra channel use to go from "undead" to "anything that isn't immune to fire."

Cheers!
Kinak

Bolcien

First Post
well the smite of "Enter god/goddess name" is to reflect the god/goddesses energies, I haven't done much in the way of researching other gods/goddesses. could have a full set of smites.

Remove ads