D&D 5E Clerics of Life: Broken, Bad Design, or Working as Intended?

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
After a full 17 months of running my weekly campaign (in the interest of dispelling confusion, my last post to the thread was in January 2015), I have stopped seeing the negative issues related to the DMG EXP calculations that I was a year ago. The system seems to be performing much more reliably for me. It is probably down to my having more experience with the system.

I was just having a conversation with a new D&D5 DM the other night, and I was unable to resolve his very similar concerns regarding the DMG EXP calculations despite my vaunted "17 months of experience." His PCs just hit 3rd level, while mine just hit 7th. Over the course of our conversation I developed the theory that what we both may be experiencing is an inflection point in the way EXP is calculated between 3rd and 4th level.

I haven't done the math, but it seems possible that the table is simply engineered to make encounters easier before 3rd level and more difficult afterwards. Has anyone else seen any evidence to support this theory?

ramesh11

First Post
The quantity of recovery is quickly over 100% greater than a typical cleric as well as could strike X3 recovery over a typical cleric previous degree 6. A lot of the moment I believe you would certainly be considering around 150% recovery perhaps 200% depending which is three-way recovery. At reduced degrees (1-5) the life cleric possibly just heals around dual the hp compared with other cleric.

Simply on its own the life cleric heals around 50 to practically 100% even more simply utilizing adherent of life. Adherent of life is likewise wonderful with the mass cure spells like mass cure word, petition of recovery as well as mass cure.
https://dndguide.com/spells/mass-cure-wounds

Maintain life as well as honored therapist fill in the remainder. By degree 6 protect life heals 30 damages each brief remainder which is 60 hit factors thinking the regulations default of 2 daily as well as honored therapist heals the cleric also which would generally need even more spells from the cleric to recover themselves. A degree 6 cleric could have an 18 knowledge however you have to cast a great deal of spells to amount to the quantity protect life heals as it is the matching of around 8 additional treatment spells or numerous petitions of recovery. By degree 12 maintain life is recovery 60hp each usage each brief remainder which is type of like having 2 additional recover spells offered each brief remainder.

At 5th degree, a life domain name cleric has treatment injuries as a domain name spell, the devotee of life attribute which includes 2+ spell degree factors of recovery to recovery spells cast and also the network divinity -maintain life attribute functional 1/short remainder that recovers 25 hp spread around to allies within 30 feet.

When there are recovery spells offered for 1st, Second, and also Third degree ports that any type of cleric could have, that amounts to a fair bit of recovery.

Allows see the recovery that a totally relaxed Fifth degree life domain name cleric with an 18 knowledge could produce throughout a battle: (thinking an event of 6).

1 use network divinity- 25 factors spread around (note that nobody target can be recovered past fifty percent optimum with this.

4 spreadings cj\of treatment injuries with First degree spell ports - 8-15 (11.5 avg) factors each spreading with adherent of life. 46.

3 spreadings of remedy injuries with Second degree spell ports- 10-24 (17 avg) factors each spreading with adherent of life. 51.

2 spreadings of Mass recovery word with Third degree spell ports 10-13 x 6 (69 avg) factors each spreading with devotee of life. 138.

260 factors of recovery typically for a complete lots out. (include 25 indicate this for one more CD usage if a brief remainder is taken).

No factors from network divinity powers.

Allows contrast a cleric of an additional domain name under comparable situations:.

4 spreadings of treatment injuries with First degree spell ports - 5-12 (8.5 avg) factors each spreading. 34.

3 spreadings of treatment injuries with Second degree spell ports- 6-20 (13 avg) factors each spreading. 39.

2 spreadings of Mass cure word with Third degree spell ports 5-9 x 6 (42 avg) factors each spreading. 84.

157 factors usually for a complete tons out.

The life domain name cleric is insane efficient recovery however that's type of their strong suit right?

If they were battling 5 CR 4 animals for a 5500 XP battle, such a team (based upon the graph) will certainly be bring upon 147.5 factors of damages EACH ROUND on the event!

Unexpectedly, recovery 260 approximately complete factors for the day does not appear so too much. As a whole, a life cleric could maintain an event going a bit longer compared to one more cleric however I do not believe there is anything busted regarding that.

Allows have a look at a lethal experience for the team:.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
And throughout it all, the Cleric of Life just kept healing. He didn't run out of healing options until the bitter end. In general, the party's resources were depleted by the time the last echo of steel on steel faded away, but everyone was on their feet.

How did the cleric do for the other 5-7 encounters in the day?

If the answer is "the party didn't have 5-7 more encounters that day", then you really have no comparison to evaluate.

The #1 point I hear about encounters being easier than expected has to do with characters with daily resources who get to use them in just a few encounters. It is an often repeated myth that harder encounters offset this correctly, I can reiterate those arguments if you are interested.

If the cleric had one encounter, and the foes were hampered by the environment from using their full abilities, then running low near the end actually represents an underachiever who never would be able to handle their share of the load in a full adventuring day.

Eubani

Legend
Please don't necro 2 year old threads with random musings.

As long as the topic doesn't break the sites rules I don't think you (or anyone else) gets to pick what people can or cannot talk about regardless of how long ago that conversation was last held.

In fact some topics are worth coming back to after time has passed to see if anything new has come to light in the intervening time, something in that time alters the discussion or people have changed their mind on the topic.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
As long as the topic doesn't break the sites rules I don't think you (or anyone else) gets to pick what people can or cannot talk about regardless of how long ago that conversation was last held.

In fact some topics are worth coming back to after time has passed to see if anything new has come to light in the intervening time, something in that time alters the discussion or people have changed their mind on the topic.
Do not confuse what is right and what is RAW. I'm not a fan of Eternal September.

When I see a 100 post thread on the front page, I expect hotly debated topic. Not an issue that was raised in 2014 and resolved in 2016.

You are free to have your own opinion, of course.

Honestly I am surprised no one has brought up their ability to max out heals at some of the higher levels. Without even bringing up Blessed Healer or Disciple of Life, they can heal like 4000 health a day if they dedicate all their spell slots to the immediate efficient spells. Dont even gwt me started on the idea that Mass Heal can compound with the Disciple of Life to create a spell far greater. You can reach about 384 tiles with a radius of 60 feet. Divided evenly every can gain a little less than 2 health each from the Mass heal itself, and another 11 health from the Disciple of Life. This means that this 9th level spell could bring about 4,924 cumulative heath maximum, to roughly a large millita, or a small army. If there was a way to get all 700 people into the circle of effect, you could heal a cumulative of 8,400 health.
That is just 1 really powerful spell. Granted you need to reach these heights through hard work, but this is just a proof that life clerics are OP regardless of level.

Remove ads